• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

number of bolts on exhaust side of head

funsun

Donation Time
Recently removed my twin zenith carborator intake and header from my series one 1960 Sunbeam Alpine and expected to find 10 places for studs and bolts. I found a 10 hole gasket but only 8 places for studs and bolts. Two places on either side of the lower center bolt show places for additional bolts/studs but haven't been drill. It leaves the two lower ends of the header with no way to ensure a tight fit. My question is, "can the additional holes be drilled out and taped or is there other options?

Wombat

Donation Time
On my Series IV, there is a "bridge" piece that is tightened down under the centre bolt. The ends of this piece clamp on the inner corners of the manifold and holds them down. This is for the cast iron manifold, but I suspect the same arrangement applies to the headers.

The later Rootes cars (fastback Rapier, Hillman Hunter etc) had the extra 2 studs below number 2 and 3 exhaust ports. I guess the gasket is made to suit both types