• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Everything I have been reading about distributors for the 302 comes down to this. Flat tappet cams need an iron geared distributor, roller cams need a steel gear.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Reading the article it looks like a combination of different circumstances would require a bronze gear if your racing. Would be used on a roller setup, heard too many stories of bronze gear failures on street driven setups. The article also refers to oil viscosity has an effect on wear. Have to keep an eye on oil pressure to tell if you lost the distributor gear. I'd stick with iron.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So Joel, (or anyone else who wants to throw out an opinion) I now have as much as six months before I get my car back. I had planned to drop the oil pan and take the valve covers off to inspect the engine. With this much extra time, would you pull the heads on an engine you have zero history on? I sent the c4 out for an overhaul as a precaution. I really dont want to install the engine and trans in a freshly painted car, just to pull it out again. I suppose I could check the compression and get an idea about the cylinder walls and rings. If compression is good, no need to pull the heads right.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
After further study, since I wont have the trans on the block and so cant bolt on the starter, what I will want to do is a leak down test.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have the bellhousing, mount it back on the motor & put the starter on. If you know someone with a spare you could borrow it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey, I have a question for the group. I am going to add seat heaters to my alger project. I plan to put the switches near the bottom of the sloping front of the console. I assume the front comes to rest on the bump at the end of the trans tunnel seen here. I dont have the car close at hand to test fit it and see if I have clearance for the switches. Does the front of the console just reach that bump, or does it extend to the front of it?s-l400 (11).png

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Doh, stupid auto correct. Fixing now.

And looking at a blow up of the pic I attached, I think I can see a shadow of where the front of the console rests near the front of the bump, so question likely answered.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, but the little smiley should have let you know I didnt really think there would be a difference.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
FWIW, I went in the opposite direction put my seat heater switches behind the armrest. I can't see them when driving, but they are easy to reach and I made a panel that protects the wiring from anything in the box hitting it. I gave up a little bit of storage room, but will never notice the difference. And, the switches are barely noticeable when looking at the car.