• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So, my old company decided they cant do without me, so now I can buy parts again, but I will likely be on a remote job site for the next 6 weeks, so I wont have time to work on anything car related.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ok a couple new pics today. Looks like there may be some bump steer in my geometry. The tie rods have a little downhill slant to them. On a brighter note, look like mostly new fittings, brake lines, shoes and calipers. And for those interested in the radiator, it is a Tru-Kool that measures 19"×22". It is set up for a small overflow catch can.
If I recall correctly, the steering rods on the rack of the MGB are straight. These appear to have been bent.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is correct. They are bent. The possible issue is that they also bend somewhat downhill, since the rack was set on top of the crossmember instead of cut into it like on a tiger.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You may be able to swap the steering arms. After the weight of the motor is back in and the wheels are on the ground you will be able to tell more. MGB guys have bent the arms and shimmed the rack higher to improve the geometry.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have not given up on that idea yet. When I drop the crossmember out and replace the a arm bushings, I will give the swap a try.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Here's a thought why not mount the rack correctly? From Flaming River, steering racks should be mounted in line with the steering arm both vertically and horizontally, impossible to do on a Tiger which is why the steering arm are bent!
The pivot points Rack, lower a arm,upper a arm should be in a line. doesn't matter how far apart just that a line can be drawn thru all pivots. Just some more s..y to muddy the water.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So I dropped the car off at the paint shop today, but the shop owner is having family virus issues, so we didnt look at any colors today and we wont for at least two weeks, maybe more.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
With the car out of my garage for the foreseeable future, I am looking at what else I can get going on. I ordered a seat heater kit for it today. When it gets in, I am going to take the seats to the upholstery shop and get them working. I figure I can have them install the seat covers and wrap the under dash pad. I will also start looking a little more at the engine. I need to figure out what I will be using for an ignition system. I am leaning toward duraspark combined with GM Hei.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
IMG_2036.JPG
With the car out of my garage for the foreseeable future, I am looking at what else I can get going on. I ordered a seat heater kit for it today. When it gets in, I am going to take the seats to the upholstery shop and get them working. I figure I can have them install the seat covers and wrap the under dash pad. I will also start looking a little more at the engine. I need to figure out what I will be using for an ignition system. I am leaning toward duraspark combined with GM Hei.
I'm using an HEI from Summit simple two wire hookup, and I might add that I talked to the engine builder (BLUE PRINT) and their answer was oh! We use those!

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
129 bucks If you do this make sure you use the right gear, steel or bronze are the choices, Summit was touting the bronze gear,til I pointed out Blue Print said STEEL.
Why on earth would they recommend a bronze gear? What's the benefit? Faster wear and bits in the oil pan....