• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, I pulled the engine this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20200118_143322.jpg
    20200118_143322.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20200118_145357.jpg
    20200118_145357.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200118_145349.jpg
    20200118_145349.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 175

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I pulled the trans out today.

I am thinking about having a local shop go through it since I dont have any experience with auto transmissions, and don't know what condition the trans is in. I would hate to get the car all painted, put back together and find there was a problem with the transmission.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yesterday, I pulled the dash out along with most of the under dash wiring. As expected, all that 50 year old wiring was rock hard. I am leaning toward all new gauges. I think it will save me a bunch of headaches.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So the project for this weekend was to get the alpine up in the air so I can do some welding underneath. I looked at all the various wood cribbing designs online and came up with this. Plenty of room to get under now.

Attachments

• 20200301_123619.jpg
    20200301_123619.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200301_123630.jpg
    20200301_123630.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 123

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I didnt notice what appears to be a lean to port until I posted the pics. I had not seen it when it was on the jack stands or the tires on the floor. I will have to investigate.

Hmmm... it may be leaning in this pic when it was sitting on the tires. I wonder if the tires are the same size? If they are, I will have to check it out when I freshen up the suspension.

Attachments

• 13208.jpeg
    13208.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I got the front spring hangers for the leaf springs welded up. Joel was right, things were not very solidly put together there. I didnt have time to cut out any gussets to add in per Joel's pics, but I will add them later. I also got about half the seams on the front crossmember welded up. Having the car up on the cribs made access a breeze. I am out of town for at least a week now, so I am glad I got done what I could. Sorry, no pics today.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So, I am off work for a while. I now have plenty of time to work on the car, but I don't want to tap into my cash reserves buying parts. I got back under the car and did a little grinding on the welds I did to the spring hangers a couple weeks ago. I have not made up a gusset as Joel recommended, but I will be adding that. While laying under the car, I saw a few pin holes in what I had thought was a pretty solid drivers floor pan. I ended up cutting out about a one square foot hole, out to solid steel. I cut a 16 gauge panel to fit the hole, flanged it to stiffen it up and then punched it for spot welding.

Attachments

• 20200326_150017.jpg
    20200326_150017.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200326_150055.jpg
    20200326_150055.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200326_153858.jpg
    20200326_153858.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
For some time I had been casually looking for a series 5 to do a v6 conversion on. I was looking about on ebay recently and saw a 5 that someone had started a v8 conversion on. The firewall and trans tunnel work looked OK in the pics I got so I put in a low bid and won the auction. Now I need to transport the car from Virginia to Iowa and see what I have actually gotten. Wish me luck. Oh, and I will never try to pass this of as a Tiger.

Where in Iowa? I am near Sioux City. Pete

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yesterday, I pulled the dash out along with most of the under dash wiring. As expected, all that 50 year old wiring was rock hard. I am leaning toward all new gauges. I think it will save me a bunch of headaches.

Rebel Wiring is a nice harness for the Alpine / Tiger. PaulA was the rep now SunAlp (Steve Shuttleton) is the rep that sells the kit. I have three installed in my V6's.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I already bought one and it is sitting on a shelf in my garage. I bought it from Steve.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
No I have not. I currently have the car up on cribbing sitting on the wheels so I cant really remove either front tire easily. When I am done welding underneath, I will take another look at the steering.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So I cut out the first gusset from 1/8th inch plate and welded it in. And I know my welding is far from pretty.

Attachments

• 20200329_174326.jpg
    20200329_174326.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 101

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
It must be the angle of the pic, I laid the gusset up close to the bolt head just leaving enough room to get a wrench on it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Aladin, Have you had a chance to switch and flip the steering arms to see if the geometry is better.
I had a look at the steering arms while I was under the car today. I did not try to swap sides and install the ball joints from the top, but just looking at it, I am not confident it can be done. I think the shoulder of the ball joint would be into the rim of the wheel if it was on top of the steering arm, even if the arm does dip down a little bit.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I had a look at the steering arms while I was under the car today. I did not try to swap sides and install the ball joints from the top, but just looking at it, I am not confident it can be done. I think the shoulder of the ball joint would be into the rim of the wheel if it was on top of the steering arm, even if the arm does dip down a little bit.
One of the reasons it's on the bottom, alternative, don't know what kind of rack you have you can shim up /down to change the bump steer if that's what your looking for?