• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NOS Heater Valve in new "free to a good home" section?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
That style of valve is still available. Lots of cars used that type. It's the SV type that's hard to find.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
That style of valve is still available. Lots of cars used that type. It's the SV type that's hard to find.

Ahh...The last two digits on the one on my car are 08. The last two on that one are/were 13. It wasn't on ebay for long.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I bought a Series V repro and it leaked from the start. I tried to fix it but no luck. The parts seller agreed to take it back and when I removed it from the car, one of the valves actually pulled out of the housing when I was trying to remove the hose.
I have since refurbed an original...

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I half a half-dozen of them in far better cosmetic condition than the one on eBay if anyone is interested. Much lower price, too.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I dropped one in Evaporust then a solution of dish soap and water. Cleaned up really nice as worked with out much fuss.
Probably even do better following up with a Wintergreen oil infusion..
It may be temporary but the oil softens old rubber nicely.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I dropped one in Evaporust then a solution of dish soap and water. Cleaned up really nice as worked with out much fuss.
Probably even do better following up with a Wintergreen oil infusion..
It may be temporary but the oil softens old rubber nicely.

I did the exact same thing, except I used a rubber rejuvenator product that is actually made for rollers in copy machines.

Last edited:

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone know of a source for replacements for the internals of these valves? Yes, they come apart for cleaning, but where to get especially the rubber part within is the challenge. Because they use this or similar valves for many British cars, and because unlike the Series 5 model, they come apart easily for servicing, I find it unusual that replacement parts would not be available.

Rick

P1160958r.jpg

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I need one of those also. Mine makes a "water dump" when I open or close the valve.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
By the way, that listing is either back up or the seller had more: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunbeam-Al...342494?hash=item5496ce1a9e:g:2HUAAOSw4nNgOyfd

New ones go for in the mid $40s from SS and CS, but both are currently out of stock, so this seems a fair deal with free shipping. It used to be the Series 5 one was the more difficult to obtain, now both seem to be on the rare. Once whoever is producing them makes a lot, they'll be available again I am sure. Some overseas sellers have them, and as stated here, there are opportunities to get used ones. Used ones would likely be in the same condition internally as mine, so I was looking to replace the parts if they were available. I got mine used and have not installed on the car, but it appears to work. But I had it all apart for cleaning and am waiting to reassemble it if there are rubber parts for it somewhere.

Rick

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thank you, Rick, for pointing out that was on E-bay again.

I bought the one available after sending an inquiry to the seller and getting this reply:

Hi,
I have a few of them and have sold a few of them. No returns so far and good feedback left on the ones that have sold. The pictures are the actual item, the one you would be getting. Please let me know of you have any further questions.
Thank you,
Mike

Now I guess I'll take the one I have apart. Having that rubber piece to repair them with would be...was going to say nice, but cheaper is what it really would be, and that would be "nice." One thing more to spend less money on...to have more money to spend on other Alpine stuff!

If I could wish I could sing like Merle Haggard, I'd wish an Alpine still sold for 2,500 dollars.

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
I half a half-dozen of them in far better cosmetic condition than the one on eBay if anyone is interested. Much lower price, too.

Mark ..... volvoguys
Quick question- from a dummy........
I just bought a Series IV with a 2.8L V6.
On my Tigers the heater control valve was on one of the support arms in the engine bay.
I can't find the heater control on my current Sunbeam, is it hiding someplace?
Thanks in advance
Positraktion
Former and present cars:
1958 Hillman Minx (1967)
1959 Sunbeam Rapier (1968)
1965 Sunbeam Alpine Series IV (1969)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger (B382000020LRXFE) (1970-1973)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger ((B382000010LRXFE) (1980-989)
Factory Five Cobra (2004-2012)
1964 Modified Series IV Alpine -2.8l Ford V6 (B9401717LRX) (present)

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Who knows as the V6 in a series IV is not stock. You should be able to follow the heater hoses around to locate, if in fact there is one. Stock on a series IV was on the firewall near where the heater hoses go through the firewall to the heater core. I've seen them removed due to being faulty and either no hoses running to the heater core or an "on all the time" situation where engine coolant is running through the heater core full time without a valve.

Rick

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
When I installed a V6 in a Series IV, I used the standard valve to shut off the coolant to the core.
It was pretty easy to do too!
Cheers,
Steve