• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"No windscreen" driving

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I took the opportunity to drive around the area while the windscreen remains off the chassis.

In an open cockpit 45 mph sounded good :) .

Allan

skywords

Donation Time
I have removed the windscreen from every motorcycle I ever had because the blast of undisturbed air is always more pleasant than the turbulant rumble that a windscreen produces. I have never liked flying open cockpit airplanes for that reason. I prefer the hard top on my car even in the summer. :rolleyes:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have to agree about the turbulence. At speeds above 60 or so, the Alpine is not much fun with the top down. Sometimes you get caught with a crosswind that is just murder at any speed.

Here's one for you. My wife cannot tolerate a draft. The A/C or heater vents on here side of the car are always pointed away from her. But she can ride in an open Alpine all day long!

Bill

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
For the last 2 Invasions in Tipp City, I've had the pleasure of driving from Middle Georgia to Tipp City with the top down on my Series IV. Steering Wheel in one hand and the sun screen in the other. I truly enjoyed every minute of the trips. The bad part of it was when you start out early in the morning, it's cold out there but a hoody takes care of that, but when the sun comes up and it starts to get hot, that's when the sun screen come out.:)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I didn't mind driving at 90 mph., through the California central valey, with the top dpwn. I had the top down to keep from getting a ticket by an airplane cop. I got one of those there once, so whenever I drove there after that, I had the top down.

I just loved driving whti it down. it is the main reason that I wouldn't own a GT. I needed a top for those sudden showers you encounter every once in a while.

Jose

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had the top down to keep from getting a ticket by an airplane cop.

Are you saying that having the top down somehow protects you, or is it just that you have a better chance of seeing the plane before it gets a reading on you speed?

Nickodell

Donation Time
I have to agree about the turbulence. At speeds above 60 or so, the Alpine is not much fun with the top down.

Here's one for you. My wife cannot tolerate a draft. The A/C or heater vents on here side of the car are always pointed away from her. But she can ride in an open Alpine all day long!

Bill

NOT MUCH FUN?? Heresy!!

The bit about your wife reminds me of an old George Carlin question: Why is it that if you blow in your dog's face it makes it mad, but when you're driving it immediately wants to stick its head out of the window?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I was saying that with the top down, I can see all the sky at once. With my radar detector on and the top down, I was able to avoid tickets. I-5 through the central valley is pretty flat and there aren't many places that they can hide.

I don't do that anymore, so am not telling anyone to do it, just saying why I liked to drive with the top down.:D

Jose :)

Are you saying that having the top down somehow protects you, or is it just that you have a better chance of seeing the plane before it gets a reading on you speed?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The V6 can run at that speed for hours without any strain. The little four wasn't made to do that. Is one of the reasons I loved my V6 Alpines. I also got over 25 mpg. at that speed. :)

Jose

My Alpine would puke its guts out if I ran it at 90 mph for a long drive.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
First experience with no windscreen driving was in the Alpine I raced. Had never even driven a convertible before much less no wind screen. In one lap I went from, "Wow, this is totally cool" to "Holy "crap" ( !#@#**&$#@) , that stuff coming off the car in front of me really hurts!". Lesson learned, go faster. Tires really through up a lot junk even on a clean track!!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
The V6 can run at that speed for hours without any strain. The little four wasn't made to do that. Is one of the reasons I loved my V6 Alpines. I also got over 25 mpg. at that speed. :)

Jose

That was also one of the reasons I loved the V6 in the 62.We criused around 75 with the trailer.
The Lister can travel but I no longer have the desire to go fast anymore.75 is plenty fast.The Lister is turning about 1900 rpm.Fastest was 125 mph with lots left and that was getting a bit much for my old bones.
The 62's 302 only has 700 miles but it has a lot of oomph.We'll see what spring can bring.Still I like that pushed back in the seat feeling when the pedal goes down.