• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

No engine number

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
there was a color code #74 ,marina green used on the hunter range but no #70.

Hi, 65Beam.... I always thought I had a very unique '65 SIV Now I know!:D

Hoping to keep it original, too!

But of course there is a great need to up grade the car because of it being in storage for the past 20-22 years.

The data plate is "original" and not tampered with! It is clearly a Color Code 70.

65beam

Donation Time
number

that's interesting. this code does not show in the parts books for either the series alpines or the hunter range. that covers alpines from series 1 thru the mid 70's. it is listed in the rootes list of paint codes that i have as being called maroon. it might have been a color used on rapiers. i have seen a couple rapiers with two tone paint of white and a maroon color. tiger tom once had a series 4 GT that was green with a siver hard top. it was a special order car and the colors were original from the factory. i've always wondered what the cost was to have special paint, etc done when the car was built and how long did you wait to take delivery.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
65 beam,
Re your reply to Mike about 69 fastback engines. Indeed, the list that Mike linked shows 2 different engines depending on whether it was a Coupe or a GT. And comparing the number stamped on the block, B399xxx, to the list linked, it seems that Mike's engine is from a GT . And it DOES have an alloy head.

The question Milke asked is about the Chriomidium brand and marking. There have been opinions that the Chromidium blocks may not have been Factory original. But it seems to me that some late production Alpine series, and continuing into Alpine fastbacks original blocks were made by Chromidium.

So I ask again: Does your GT block have the Chromidium brand cast on it?

Tom

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Back in the days long ago Chrysler offered a replacement block as well.

They were blue and had no number.I had picked up one when I bought a bunch of parts.I could not pick as it was a buyer take it all away including a pile of junk. It went to my son with the 63 GT as a spare.I seem to remember it was a very good engine as we had put in on the stand and fired it up

65beam

Donation Time
number

i don't know if this name is cast in the engine block of my 69 GT. it's still stored away with my car trailers so i won't even disturb it for quite some time so i can't look at it. it is the original engine. i do know that i have two alpine coupe cast iron head engines on the shelf and they do not have this name cast in the block.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for all of the responses - a lot of interesting information.

A color code 70 Alpine has got to be pretty unique!

Mike