• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

No engine number

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was checking vin numbers on my several spare Alpine engines....I have one with no vin number...It is just blank on the block where it is supposed to be....and I have another with a metal ID plate affixed that says "Rootes Replacement Engine" anyone seen ontr of these before?

65beam

Donation Time
engine number

if the engine is a 1725 with the castings on the side of the block to accept the arrow series engine mounts, then it's probably one of the short blocks that came out of iran. SS sold these in the eighties if i remember right. i have four of them. i also have seen a couple engines with the tag showing it to be a replacement engine. that would probably have been installed by a dealer so that tells you the age of those engines.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have an engine without a number. This is a 1725 arrow series as it has the arrow series mounts. This engine was purchased in the UK in 1990 so I am assuming it was a genuine rootes replacement block.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
My series I has a factory replacement series II block with no serial number, so that was installed sometime between 1960-1964 (My brother purchased the car in late 1964)
Jan

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Is the manufacter date in raised letters on the block above the starter?

I have an engine without a number. This is a 1725 arrow series as it has the arrow series mounts. This engine was purchased in the UK in 1990 so I am assuming it was a genuine rootes replacement block.

65beam

Donation Time
number

the block that is in my series 4 has the name chromidium cast in the block above the starter and to the left side of that are the numbers 1610P. above the alternator are the numbers 198110 and below that is WMO 23991/2. does anyone know what these numbers mean?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I believe the 198110 is the Rootes part number. I'm not familiar with the other numbers.

Is your block original? If not, is it an Alpine block?

65beam

Donation Time
engine number

the 1725 is not the original engine for my series 4. this is one of the short blocks that SS was selling many years ago. i ended up buying four of them. they all have the engine mounts for the arrows/fastbacks. i have not been able to figure out what the various numbers mean. didn't these blocks come from iran?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Iran is what I heard too.

the 1725 is not the original engine for my series 4. this is one of the short blocks that SS was selling many years ago. i ended up buying four of them. they all have the engine mounts for the arrows/fastbacks. i have not been able to figure out what the various numbers mean. didn't these blocks come from iran?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
So, I've got a "Chromidium" engine, and have been doing some digging.

Rick at SS says that the blocks he sold in the '80s were cast in France and said France on the driver's side.

Chromidium is a product name (cast iron with extra chrome for toughness and corrosion resistance - claimed) that was made by Midland Motor Cylinder Company from the UK. Midland started in the early 1900's making components for the automobile industry. They made blocks, cams, etc. for OEM's. From comments from others, that includes Sunbeam Series Alpines, and in the case of my engine the Alpine GT.

Just thought this information was interesting, and may help to clear up some of the confusion.

Does anyone know if all of the GT's came with iron heads? Mine has an aluminum head, but I don't know any of the history of it.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
number

mike,
what year is your alpine GT? is it a series alpine with GT interior and no soft top or is it a fastback. if it's a fastback there were two versions, the alpine coupe and the alpine GT. the coupe had a 1725 with cast iron head and the GT had a 1725 with aluminum head. all of my fastbacks ( coupe and GT's) are titled 1969 and did not have the vin number on the block.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of my SIV's is a GT (No soft top) and has an engine without a Serial nr on the Block.

Markings on the Engine are as follows:

-------------- R
----------H--------3---------1980898 D 9-11-64

According to the date of manufacture or Assembly it was a First Series IV
as far as I can determine. SAL 375145 Body No. 940 0766 GT BW LRX Color Code 39

It was purchased many years ago by the PO as a parts car for the Other SIV B 941 03819 OD LRX Color Code 70. I was able to obtain both cars in 1980. The PO utilized the Right Hand Caliper and Right Hand Fuel Tanks and installed in the Other Car (3819).

Last edited:

Bernie Becker

Silver Level Sponsor
engine number

I also have an SV with an engine that has some matching casting numbers and some that are close. The numbers are below the exhaust manifold.
high and centered - 1714,
lower and to the front - 1981100,
same level and to the rear - 318-8-66,
lower and centered - DD
But the engine number #N392687CAL has been stamped in the proper place. I would appreciate any clues.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
65 Beam,

I only have the engine, not the whole car. According to this link from Tom H. -
http://www.team.net/www/rootes/chassis.html

The serial #B399xxxx (on the block by the oil pump) is from a 1969 Alpine GT (fastback).

Are your GT blocks "Chromidium" (raised diamond by the starter)? Did Rootes make some blocks and buy some from Midland? Did some Series Alpines come from the factory with "Chromidium" blocks from Midland?

Thanks.

Mike

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan R.,

I don't see color code 70 in the tech data section - is that the right number? What color is it?

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
number

mike,
there were two different versions of the 1725 used in the 69 fastbacks since there were two different versions of the fastbacks. the alpine coupe which was a no frills car used a cast iron head 1725 with a single stromberg carb and a bunch of emission pieces attached to the carb. it also had a different cam. with the cast iron head the intake and exhaust valves were reversed on #2 & #3 cylinders only. what would be #2 intake on an aluminum head became #2 exhaust and the same on #3. #1 & # 4 had the valves the same as an aluminum head engine. the blocks were the same but everything else on the engine was different. compression was lower on the alpine also. the two cars shared the same body shell but were different in many ways. if you have a cast iron head 1725 you do not have a GT engine nor did it come out of a GT. it originally was a hillman sedan engine. not all 69 fastbacks were GT's.