• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nippon Denso Alternator?

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have come in possession of what I believe to be a Nippon Denso alternator. I have been using a Hitachi for years, but recently put the early series exhaust manifold on and could not fit the hitachi anymore.

The back of this Nippon alternator has (3) spade connectors. Does any one know what spade connector I hook up the exciter wire to?

I have a rebel harness installed and had the ignition light working with the hitachi alternator.

Attachments

• FCE1B26B-1ACE-4FB6-B4E5-0D66A1C3EB3D.jpeg
    FCE1B26B-1ACE-4FB6-B4E5-0D66A1C3EB3D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 24B27BAB-5912-41B7-957C-96BB02B60264.jpeg
    24B27BAB-5912-41B7-957C-96BB02B60264.jpeg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 20

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cade,
What model is that? I have a couple of those and will look at them, but it shouldn't be all that difficult to sort that out. One thing that has been different, depending on the model, is that they sometimes need a switched ignition source to get them to charge. Let me know your model # and I'll see what I can come up with.
Cheers!
Steve

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

Could this be it 14945?

Attachments

• 23E40DC9-3337-43B2-B00C-65F2713912D5.jpeg
    23E40DC9-3337-43B2-B00C-65F2713912D5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pretty sure that is a REMY re-manufactured (aka, re-built) 50 amp alternator for a 1988-1992 Daihatsu Charade.

If so, then

Attachments

• REMY 14945 medium.jpg
    REMY 14945 medium.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry,

The back of the hitachi only had (2) spade terminals. I had my ignition light hooked to the vertical terminal.

Will I need to run another wire from the ignition to back side of this other alternator?

Attached is how my hitachi was wired.

Attachments

• EDBB743A-1191-4DC9-B699-9177ACE288C8.jpeg
    EDBB743A-1191-4DC9-B699-9177ACE288C8.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 12

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cade,

Not trying to be a smart-*ss, but what worked with the Hitachi (model / application ???) alternator has nothing to do with what will work with the REMY 14945 alternator.

According to the connection diagram in post #4, the REMY 14945 alternator needs a switched positive connection to the "IG" terminal, a connection from the battery positive terminal to the "S" terminal and a connection from the alternator warning lamp to the "L" terminal.

I suspect that you had a switched positive connection to the Hitachi alternator. I doubt that the REMY 14945 alternator will work correctly without the switched positive connection to the "IG" terminal and I do not recommend operating it without that connection.

The significant wiring difference between the Hitachi and the REMY 14945 is that the REMY 14945 has a "sense wire" connection to the battery positive terminal to ensure that the voltage is correct at the battery positive terminal rather than at the alternator output terminal. In theory, the voltage should be the same at both locations, but .....

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry/Steve,

ok so this is what I did.

I took 12v ignition and ran it to the IG terminal.

Then I took 12v constant and ran it to the S terminal.

I then connected my warning light to the L terminal

The out come is. My warning light comes on when switched to ignition ON. When car is idling the warning light turns off. I have 14V at the battery.

I think I did it right.

Thanks for your help!

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry/Steve,

ok so this is what I did.

I took 12v ignition and ran it to the IG terminal.

Then I took 12v constant and ran it to the S terminal.

I then connected my warning light to the L terminal

The out come is. My warning light comes on when switched to ignition ON. When car is idling the warning light turns off. I have 14V at the battery.

I think I did it right.

Thanks for your help!
What was the source of the ignition wire that you attached to the IG terminal?