• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nice Original SIV on BAT-No Reserve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I was aware of the change in how some seams were finished, did not know it was part of a change in production technique.

Hand assembled bodies from parts that were at best, semi precision. I think that had to have a big impact on the death of the English auto industry. I don't know how the guys on the line were able to do it. Hats off to them all.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
There's a photo on page 46 of the book "Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger" written by Graham Robson that shows the assembled three sections of the cars prior to final assembly of the body. This photo shows the front sub assembly, the rear sub assembly and what they referred to as the "under body platform". This photo was taken at the Armstrong/Siddeley plant. The early Alpines ( prior to Chrysler) had the seam for the scuttle / front fenders at an angle and the series 5 has the seam straight from front to rear. There are also differences in the seams near the headlights along with other differences. There's an Alpine in this area that has a big fin fender on one side and a late fender on the other.