• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

new to this

baldy

Donation Time
just bought a 1967 alpine 4 cyl. kind of wanted to know what this would be worth little bit about how igot it, my wifes girl friends father had it, bought it brand new in 67 , put 14800 miles on it and then parked it in his garage, been there since70s red - black int. conv.4cyl the car is all org. no rust no dents no nothing. any idea? thanks baldy

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
We would need some pictures.
If it sat for 30+ years, it needs all hydraulics (brake system & clutch) rebuilt. Gas tanks need rebuilt, tires are rotten by now, probably the whole engine & radiator could stand a rebuild and probably all the seals in the rear axle, transmission, front spindles & fuel pump, new softtop.
Probably about $5,000 (realistically more) to get it in good, reliable running condition.
Jan

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Rip Van Alpine

Or you can convert it to the Dark Side and use one of V6 Jose's kits....:D

There are members all over the country who could help with either a stock restoration or a conversion. Nice group of folks in this board.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Baldy, it is almost impossible to set a value on your car, but I'd think a minimum of 3K.

People will sink $1000 dollars into a car that has rust that will easily cost $1500 to fix, but balk at paying $2000 for a rust free roller. I've seen nice, rust free drivers go for $6500 and yet a very nice, almost show quality car sometimes has trouble selling at $7500. I suppose the local market is the most important factor.

As alluded to by Jan, a car that has set for that many years cannot be gassed up and driven off. Things deteriorate. I'm not so sure the engine has to be rebuilt, but the brakes will and the engine should be carefully evaluated and given a pre-start up treatment.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The qualities of the car that are in your favor are the (hopefully accurate) low mileage, the (probable) originality/lack of 'customization', and the indoor storage after an event-free road life. Things not in your favor are a (probable) lack of on-going maintenance or proper 'put-up' for long-term storage, and not being driven on occasion. (Being driven really matters to cars... plus it's what the car is all about.) But as others have mentioned, settling on a value depends entirely on the marketplace. You have mileage and condition that few other cars can touch, but there are many cars available that a buyer can just get in and drive today, and for years to come.

Then, there's kind of a sense of 'obligation' that sets in. What should be done with this car? Preserve and drive responsibly? Or view it as the fastest way to a V6 conversion? Tiger 'clone'? Everyone's going to have a different take on this one. These cars are not exceedingly rare -- like there are just a dozen in existence worldwide. But they're not making any more of 'em, either. Ultimately, whoever owns it gets to make that choice, and your control over the plans and dreams for that car ends when you sell it.

Were I in your position, the first thing I'd do is arrange to meet with a few of the club members, or any Alpine owner, and go for a ride/drive in a well-sorted-out Alpine. Top down, nice day, good road, not in a hurry, etc. An afternoon of that will go a long way to clarifying your thinking about the car you have. Mull that experience over a bit. It would also be interesting to have a similar ride in a V6 and or V8 version, to see what other factors can influence the 'fun to drive' rating. :eek: Then maybe drive an Alpine again, just to calm your nerves.

Technical help, parts, advice, etc. are probably easier to come by now than when your car was being driven. (If this car is to be turned over to a new driver at 16 years old, then don't put a V6 or V8 in it... I'm sure you'll end up regretting it. )

Well, I'm rattling on now, but do try to meet up with some folks (and cars) in person. It'll be time well spent, regardless of what you do with your car.

Ken in Columbus