• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New starter

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
When I go to start the car the starter is really slow to spin. I get that ‘oh no, the battery is dead’ feeling n my belly whenever starting it. The battery is new, fully charged and in good condition. I’m wondering if throwing a high torque starter might help. Or is this part of the allure of owning a 58 year old car?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
It might help. But first thing to check is the current path for the starting current. Of course make sure the connections to the battery are solid. Then be sure the ground cable from battery to chassis is well connected at the chassis and not a rusty connection. Then check the most common missing or weak link in Alpines, the ground strap at the tranny support. It's a short braided cable that one end is under the head of a bolt that bolts the rear tranny support to the tranny. The other end should be under the head of one of the bolts that fastens that rear support to the chassis.Be sure that strap is there and cleanly connected at both ends. Alternatively you might add your own heavy grounding cable somewhere between the block and the chassis. Lastly you might want to check that your solenoid is making a solid connection to the starter cable.

Here's a link to a photo showing how one of our members, Mike Hartman, added a ground cable inside the engine bay to replace the one at the tranny, see the 34th picture on the page:
http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/photos?mg_page=6.

Without the tranny mount or other cable, the only ground path for your starter current is likely to be your choke cable or maybe your clutch hydraulic line

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff,

Have you tried to test the starter with jumper cables to see if it's an electrical problem or a starter problem?

WSM 145 has a write up about testing for voltage drop in the starter circuit.

As Tom says, without a ground, current will flow along any possible path. IIRC, a series II uses a steel fuel line - tank to pump. Now there's an interesting electrical path to consider.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
They turn over just fine as long as everything is correct. Overly advanced timing can cause that situation as well.

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
Thanks all, getting the car on a lift in the next few days and will start some ground verification work shortly thereafter. I suspect that is the issue.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Jeffrey
I had a similar problem with my starter motor (with radial brushes), battery and grounding connection were ok.
It turned out that the screws on the bearing plate were loose, hard to see or detect. This resulted in lower spring pressure onto the brushes. Tightening the screws an gentle rework to the collector area helped immediately.
Might be worth it for you to check on this end.