• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Redesigned Rebel Wiring Harness!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tom,
I did try that with the stock bulb holder and the light stayed on. The wire that comes out of the fuse panel runs through
the bulb and onto the alternator, where it grounds once it's charging and turns the lamp off. Thinking about it, I may
not have tried what you're suggesting. I'll do a test on the stock holder and report back.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, As you say, one lead goes to the fuseholder, where the other lead goes depends on what Alternator you are using. On a stock SV alt, the wire from the Ign Warning light goes to the Warning Light Simulator. On most modern replacement Alternators, that wire goes to the "L" terminal. Regardless of where the lead goes, the original lamp holder will work.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Tom and Mike,

You are both correct, the stock holder will work fine, it just wires differently and so long as you use the plastic
lens tube you should have no issues.

By the way, I asked Rebel as to why on the fusable linke as opposed to as an inline fuse and their rely was that a fduse
cannot handle a lo voltage spike and will blow as opposed to a fusable link which can handle that. I'm a big proponent
in advising that you do what you're comfortable with. Being that there is only 1 fusable link in the system, if you lose
total power, you kind of know where to look. When they blow, they're usually more swollen where they did.

Hope that clears some things up.

Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time
By the way, I asked Rebel as to why on the fusable linke as opposed to as an inline fuse and their rely was that a fduse
cannot handle a lo voltage spike and will blow as opposed to a fusable link which can handle that.

That is total nonsense. Whoever told you that did not know what they are talking about.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, as they say, everyone has their opinions and a right to express them. As I said previously, if that's what you want to do
then do it. The Harness is good the way it comes. Can it be improved further ? Absolutely! This is my initial set of improvements
and I do plan to make it better with more time and experience with it. What I have here is an easier harness to install at a reduced price
from where it was before. Here's the question. If I were to make everyone happy with any and all additions to it that have been
suggested, would people be willing to pay a much higher price for this? Don't tell me that it's just adding a $5 fuse, because if you think that
you don't know anything about business.

That said, please PM me with any additions that you'd like and I'll consider them for future improvements.
Thanks,
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just received my "New" Harness you sent Steve! Looks fine. It will be going in my '65 SIV GT BW35 that is getting the "works"..... V6, A4LD, A/C, Electric Power Steering (EPS), and about anything else that will improve the driving....

If I discover any thing else needed I will make the changes and keep you informed.

Many Thanks,

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan! I appreciate the feedback! Please keep me in the loop as you install it.
Cheers!
Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time
Well, as they say, everyone has their opinions and a right to express them. As I said previously, if that's what you want to do
then do it. The Harness is good the way it comes. Can it be improved further ? Absolutely! This is my initial set of improvements
and I do plan to make it better with more time and experience with it. What I have here is an easier harness to install at a reduced price
from where it was before. Here's the question. If I were to make everyone happy with any and all additions to it that have been
suggested, would people be willing to pay a much higher price for this? Don't tell me that it's just adding a $5 fuse, because if you think that
you don't know anything about business.

That said, please PM me with any additions that you'd like and I'll consider them for future improvements.
Thanks,
Steve

Keep in mind that the suggestions I am making (350A fuse at the battery, and 40-60A fuse in the power feed) can be easily implemented into the car's wiring with the new wiring harness, The harness that Pete-Rebel-Steve is doing does not need to be modified in any major way to add those improvements.

You got a good product. I am just an electrical engineer telling people of a couple of easy modifications that will make their cars electrically safe.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

Just like Jerry said, I have no objections to your design. It was only the goofy explanation you received about a fuse that I was commenting on.

Tom

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Keep in mind that the suggestions I am making (350A fuse at the battery, and 40-60A fuse in the power feed) can be easily implemented into the car's wiring with the new wiring harness, The harness that Pete-Rebel-Steve is doing does not need to be modified in any major way to add those improvements.

You got a good product. I am just an electrical engineer telling people of a couple of easy modifications that will make their cars electrically safe.

Exactly what I did on my SV rescue per L-E's suggestion in an earlier post as it still has the original harness that was messed with by previous owners and sounded like a great safe guard against her going up in flames when I'm ready to start her after sittin' in a hanger for 2 decades. .... Thanks Jerry!

........ David

loose_electron

Donation Time
Exactly what I did on my SV rescue per L-E's suggestion in an earlier post as it still has the original harness that was messed with by previous owners and sounded like a great safe guard against her going up in flames when I'm ready to start her after sittin' in a hanger for 2 decades. .... Thanks Jerry!

........ David
David: Yeah those two fuses can be added to the original setup as well.
Remember - The **original** design of the wiring harness is not safe, and is not a good design.
Give some serious thought to re-wiring the car end to end at some point.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Let me comment - for all future purchasers of the Rebel Sunbeam harness: The improvements to the original Rebel design are good. Sunalp (Steve) has made improvements that make the Rebel Sunbeam kit even better. And the suggestions made by Tom H and Jerry are good responses to the issue of fusible links. Future buyers would do well to take the suggestions of Jerry and Tom H under serious consideration. As Jerry commented above, the original Lucas design is not safe - especially after some 50 years of deterioration to the insulation, to say nothing of the real potential of overloading the two circuit system. There are many British car owners, Sunbeam, MG, Triumph, who have had the Lucas harness cause fires in their vehicles. I was one of them. Pete

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have not had my project delivered yet, but looking at the sellers pics again, it looks like there is a new harness in my future.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, I'm certainly appreciative of the expertise provided here by you, TomH and of course the many others! Some of which you provided has already helped me. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate Steve's efforts to make the improvements he has planned to the wiring harness. I can also understand the little things needed for improvements cut into the sell/demand of products he/I and others offer. One such item I sell is the Straight Back Headers I designed spending lots of money and very value time too. Since the initial fabrication of the headers, cost has risen twice with each cutting into what little profit available and I was finally forced into increasing the price to my customers. Lots of people just don't understand why I sell my headers for $610 & 715 when there are lots of headers on the market for a couple hundred dollars ( Of course those are for factory built cars with all factory parts) whereby the Alpine is a Conversion with small demand! Something big going into something small:)

I have several of the Rebel Harness purchased from PaulA , Now I have the 1st by Steve (Sunalp). I am a satisfied customer:)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Pete and Dan! I really appreciate the support, and Dan you're right on the money. Those of
us with small businesses have a tough time making it with only one line of work. The Rebel harness
is something I've added to my restoration business. I rewire a lot of cars when they undergo restoration
so it seemed a natural fit. I have used other harnesses in the past, but the people at Rebel were so helpful
when fixing a botched up harness on a Series II with no documentation. I decided that they were people
I'd like to work with. Other harnesses had spotty if any support for the installer.

By the way, I'll be ordering a few more harnesses in for stock in the next week or two. If anyone wants one,
let me know and I'll get it on order.

Cheers!
Steve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jerry, I'm certainly appreciative of the expertise provided here by you, TomH and of course the many others! Some of which you provided has already helped me. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate Steve's efforts to make the improvements he has planned to the wiring harness. I can also understand the little things needed for improvements cut into the sell/demand of products he/I and others offer. One such item I sell is the Straight Back Headers I designed spending lots of money and very value time too. Since the initial fabrication of the headers, cost has risen twice with each cutting into what little profit available and I was finally forced into increasing the price to my customers. Lots of people just don't understand why I sell my headers for $610 & 715 when there are lots of headers on the market for a couple hundred dollars ( Of course those are for factory built cars with all factory parts) whereby the Alpine is a Conversion with small demand! Something big going into something small:)

I have several of the Rebel Harness purchased from PaulA , Now I have the 1st by Steve (Sunalp). I am a satisfied customer:)
Dan, just tell'em to use one of the $200 headers. When that fails, they can make a copy of yours. You can even offer to send a couple of photos. Any newby should be able to knock out a set in an hour or so.
Yep, 10 pounds of sh!t into a 5 pound sack ain't easy. Especially if your determined not to turn the sack into a 15 pounder.

Bill