• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Redesigned Rebel Wiring Harness!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi All,

I've been working with Rebel and am excited to offer a different approach to re wiring
your Alpine or Tiger. This new harness is both easier to understand and install and comes in at a price point that offers a great value.

While the current design is very good ( I have one in my car) the new harness has a smaller fuse
panel. Unlike the previous design, I have this installed under the dash. The fuse panel has 9 circuits
with three extra prewired circuits available to add whatever you might like.

Unlike the previous harness, the turn signals, the dash lights for turn signals and high beam are all prewired
and a snap to hook up. This harness also has a separate harness for the headlight high/low relays so they can be located where ever you'd like. Alternator hook up is also prewired and a dash ignition light is very easy
to install. You just need a different bulb holder as the light grounds at the alternator, not the dash. It also
has a fuseable link to protect the fuse panel. I'm still looking into new battery cables and will offer them
shortly.

Of course, just like the previous harness, this one come with complete documentation and support
to make sure you're happy with your new system.

The best part is that I can offer this for $280 with free shipping to club members. I am an authorized
Rebel dealer and usually stock these harnesses for quick delivery.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions.

Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am a very satisfied customer of the original harness, but your changes sound like they will make it even better! Well done!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim ! The original is a good design that works very well indeed! You have to wire a few things
differently such as the dash signal and high beam lights and the turn signals. I took a good design and
just tweeked it to make it just that much easier to install.

I still support the older design so anyone that purchased one can always contact me with any questions.

Thanks!
Steve

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
As soon as I take deliver of my Alger project, I will get a look at the current wiring, and likely be calling.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
The upgrades are appropriate and should help potential buyers/installers. Did you convince them to use mini fuses? I tried unsuccessfully to use them in the original design but could not convince them. Congrats! Pete

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Pete!
Thanks, I appreciate your candor! I tried to go the mini fuse route with them. The problem is one of
economies of scale. It seems they buy the fuse panel parts in bulk as a cost savings and would have to
rework all their harnesses in order for me to utilize the mini panel. It was on my wish list, but would
have driven the price of the harness too high.
I haven't completely given up on the idea so hopefully something for the future.

Thanks again!
Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time
Fusable link wire on the power feed? Why do people do this? I put an inline fuse there instead so I know what current it blows at, and can be replaced easily. Also, it is still a smart idea to put a 350A fuse in line with the battery at the battery.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's what comes with the harness. I have to work with what's available from the supplier. This can be upgraded
by the installer if it's deemed necessary. They're not that difficult to replace, but I agree a fuse would be easier.
To date, I have 6 or 7 installs out there on the road and there hasn't been an issue yet.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Fusable link wire on the power feed? Why do people do this? I put an inline fuse there instead so I know what current it blows at, and can be replaced easily. Also, it is still a smart idea to put a 350A fuse in line with the battery at the battery.

I agree. I always suggested my customers use a heavy duty in line fuse. I tried to discourage use of the fusible link. Too many issues - plus, Ron Francis from the hot rod electrics world strongly suggested not using them and he has sold and installed a gazillion new harnesses. I took him at his word and I take you at yours as well, Jerry. Pete

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've had two of the damn things to fail. A real nuisance. You loose power, but the point of failure is not obvious. Especially when you do not know you have them.

Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
I've had two of the damn things to fail. A real nuisance. You loose power, but the point of failure is not obvious. Especially when you do not know you have them.

Bill

Agreed, plus you really don't know what current the stupid thing opens up at. I have an inline fuse that you can see the state of and you know the current it should open at. It's $5 well spent. With that and the 350A fuse at the battery you got a system that can short to ground anywhere and the only thing that burns up is the fuses.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry,
Where do you get the $5 fuse? I'll consider adding that if I can find a good source.
Thanks!
Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

I don't understand this part of your post:

"You just need a different bulb holder as the light grounds at the alternator, not the dash."

On a Series V (and all Series) the Ignition warning light is not "grounded at the dash". It has two separate wires that can be connected anywhere .

Tom

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tom,
The original bulb holder grounds at the dash, much like the turn signal & high beam light ground.
You need a bulb holder that passes the current through it as the wiring comes directly from the fuse
panel, passes through the ignition bulb and grounds at the alternator. You need a holder with one wire
running in and one wire running out with no ground. As far as the series V light goes, I haven't seen that one
either on my car or on the SV I just finished. I had to use a different bulb. The only ones I had had one wire
going in and one wire that was a ground. This has been my experience.

Steve

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
BA-7 bulb holder used for ignition, turn signal, high beam, and overdrive. Like Tom, I'm not following why a different bulb holder is needed.

upload_2019-12-5_11-39-26.png

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, It seems that even your holders have "one wire going on and one wire that was ground". Take that one wire that was "ground" and just connect a longer wire to it and ground it wherever you want. And note that the holder fits into a plastic sleeve that mounts in the dash so there is no danger that the metal shell might get shorted to ground, even if the dash were metal.