• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Owner in Houston Update

dcalpine

Donation Time
My eyes were open to the Sunbeam world back in Dec. 06 when I traded an old SUV for my new money pit (65 Alpine Series 4 with all syncho..rust free). I first logged on to the old forum back then with a quick introduction and have been a daily reader ever since. My sincere thanks and admiration goes out to everyone who contributes to this forum for forging ahead and sending back road maps!

Leading into Dec., the plan at home was to convert our garage into more living space and to give the wife the formal dining room she had just finished designing. I opted for plan B. Bring home completely unrestored Sunbeam and boatload of parts, fill tiny garage and begin my education on a car I know nothing about. I am not a mechanic and this is my first ever project. Good for me that she alway's wanted a convertable and she now thinks she has one (and WILL once she learns to drive a 4 speed!)

Fast forward to today. Car has been at a local british car shop visited weekly by new starryeyed owner with empty pockets. Seems this car has been waiting for me and everytime I go near it, it screams for some more attention.

The 1725 engine originally started after sitting for years and years. Fired up and then blang...rod blew. We pulled the engine, re-did crank and replaced bearings. Waiting on one more part from SS and will hopefully have one more alpine on the street next week.

I have pics but the jpeg files are too large to post here.

Thanks to all in advance for the upcoming questions of a novice owner! I am in Houston if anyone comes this way.

Dan

S

Steve Kirk

Dan,
I am located in Dallas Texas. I believe there are some list members in the Houston Area. If you are ever in Dallas please contact me. I have a series 5 project and a restored series 2.

Good luck with your car.

Steve

dcalpine

Donation Time
Thanks Steve...same to you. I saw your series 5 pic in the gallery. The dust layers are identical to my project and looks like the paint codes (86) are the same. Will you be restoring this to stock and with the original paint color?

Dan

S

Steve Kirk

My series 5 is paint code 86, Forest Green. I will keep the original color. The car sat for 15 years in a boat shed. I managed to get it running pretty good.