• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello fellow members. I'm Tom Miller from Renton Washington, (just south of Seattle). I have wanted an Alpine for years. They just seemed cool looking and I like British cars. I have worked on a 1957 MGA quite a few years ago, and my friends 1954 MGTD. I am not a mechanic, but I don't mind learning and getting my hands dirty.
I recently purchased a 1967 Alpine that has been partially dissembled as a retirement project. It was a project of the previous owner but unfortunately he passed away, so now I'm taking over. My plan is to make this Alpine a very nice driver. It currently has a Rotary engine and I have been thinking about the V6 conversion.

After removing a lot of parts, there will be much work to do. Sometimes I wondered what have I got myself into. :) Currently working on rusty rear floor pans. Will be looking for help to get this project completed.

Question: Where is the best place to purchase aftermarket parts? And can you still get ALL parts for Alpines?

Thank you, Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, Stay tuned because there are a lot of Guys here that will provide lots of help and answers to your questions.

IF you wish, post a few pictures of your Alpine! We love to see what the other Guy has:)

The Rotary engine has always intrigued me! Someone on here has made reference to one of those in an Alpine sometime recent.

There are several members of the Club that may live near you?

Bet they will tune in for you.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello fellow members. I'm Tom Miller from Renton Washington, (just south of Seattle). I have wanted an Alpine for years. They just seemed cool looking and I like British cars. I have worked on a 1957 MGA quite a few years ago, and my friends 1954 MGTD. I am not a mechanic, but I don't mind learning and getting my hands dirty.
I recently purchased a 1967 Alpine that has been partially dissembled as a retirement project. It was a project of the previous owner but unfortunately he passed away, so now I'm taking over. My plan is to make this Alpine a very nice driver. It currently has a Rotary engine and I have been thinking about the V6 conversion.

After removing a lot of parts, there will be much work to do. Sometimes I wondered what have I got myself into. :) Currently working on rusty rear floor pans. Will be looking for help to get this project completed.

Question: Where is the best place to purchase aftermarket parts? And can you still get ALL parts for Alpines?

Thank you, Tom

Welcome!

To answer your question on parts....

As far as parts, you can get many of the parts from Sunbeam Specialties ( www.rootes.com ) and Classic Sunbeam ( www.classicsunbeam.com ), both here in the states.

You're in the right place here because many of the club members have and are willing to help you out with hard to find pieces. DanR up above helped me out just this week. Ebay is another source...some things are reasonable and some things are from sellers that are very proud of what they have. LOL

I've also used Sunbeam Spares in the UK for some parts ( https://www.sunbeamalpinetigerspares.co.uk/ ).

If you're looking to update, Sunalp on this page (Steve Shuttleton) sells Sunbeam specific wiring harnesses with modern day style fuse blocks and Joe Parlanti sells plug and play LED lighting kits for Sunbeams ( http://velocesolutionsllc.com/ ).

Also, DanR sells rear disc brake conversion kits for the Alpine.

Also, check out the Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube for great tips and DIY videos.

Good luck with your project!

Tod

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome, Tom! You have definitely come to the right place. Tod has given you good advice on parts suppliers for stock parts and DanR is your guy if you decide to go the V6 route. Not to take any money out of Dan's pocket, but I am curious about your rotary conversion. Does it run? I only know of two others. One was Tiger Tom's (stick around long enough and you will learn more about Tom) Roto Rooter, a fastback Alpine GT that had an RX7 engine in it. The other was a guy I visited in the Missouri Ozarks about 15 years ago who put an RX7 in his SV. He did a really nice job and said the car ran great. I never drove in it to verify that, but the engine looked nice in the bay.

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you guys. Appreciate your responses. I knew this would be the right club to join.
I have had members contact me that live close by as Dan R said. I will be contacting them to see what I can learn.

Dan, I heard you are the go to guy for the V6 conversions. I'm sure we will be chatting a lot. But I heard Jose is real close to me.
As requested here are the pics of my Alpine when is was delivered. The engine pic is kinda dark but should be viewable. I took parts off that were not already removed and so now I have a tool shed full of boxes. :)
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 41

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't believe the steering has been modified.
Since I'm not real familiar with Alpines (yet) I can't tell what is original or not. There is a birds nest of wiring under the hood and dash so I just removed it all to just start over.
I believe this car would be a good candidate for the V6 conversion when I finally get the rusty parts removed and treated. Should be fun.

Thanks Tod for the parts info. I will look into that.

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Jim, Sorry I just saw your reply. I'm still getting used to this Forum and how to get around.
The rotary engine popped and tried to fire up but did not run. The guy selling it for his friend said it did run but I never got it going. It might have been because it was sitting for fifteen years.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If your looking for a Jose kit, talk to Dan. The last I talked to him, he had collected two or three. Dan is becoming the "go to" guy, especially if your looking to improve your "Beam.

Bill

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is better pic of the engine and the steering box. Sorry but it's hard to get a good pic of the box as there is too much stuff in the way.

Thought I would also share a funny pic of the blower I removed. I wondered why not much air was coming out. The little critters managed to remove almost the entire firewall insulation.

Engine.JPG Steering Box.JPG IMG_0672.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can see the stock steering box but I can't make out for sure if you have the "crosslink" that runs behind the engine and connects both of the steering arms!

Can you tell if there is a crosslink (rod) behind your engine?

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Dan,

Here are a couple of pics of the bottom of the engine. I didn't see a cross-link behind the engine. I'm not sure if you can tell if this answers your question.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 28

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, Can you show where these in the PIC connect?

Attachments

• Beam Toms Crossmember and steering     IMG_0686.JPG
    Beam Toms Crossmember and steering IMG_0686.JPG
    518.1 KB · Views: 21

BeamTom

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, see if this pic of the cross-over with the connection points is what you were looking for.
Thanks

Attachments

• 6BEF068E-C206-42F2-AB21-732EFB0B8825.jpeg
    6BEF068E-C206-42F2-AB21-732EFB0B8825.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 19

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is a modified cross link. OK ! You have basically the stock Alpine steering. Which is a good system.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Nick. I would like to look at your V6 whenever you are available and I can out that way.
I'd recommend Spring as the car Procraft is working on may be ready and back here in Washington. Watch that post. The car I have here didn't use a preset kit and there are some issues. It it's close enough. I'm scheduled out thru October so maybe before thanksgiving?