• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New forum site

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong area originally. The avatars seem to be blown up and cropped. Signature pics are gone. How do you edit a post?

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm trying to figure out the signature thing. I don't know what's causing that. There should be an "upload a file" button under the box, but it's not there. As for the avatars, I'll have to look into that too. Mine was uploaded after the new site and all seemed fine.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I never had an avatar before, so just for the heck of it, I gave it a try and put in a scan of a photo from 1978. No problems and it went smoothly.

ToddN

Platinum Level Sponsor
The avatars seem to be blown up and cropped.

When the avatar images were imported it resized them to make them square. Since yours was not square it zoomed in and cropped the top and bottom. Trying to figure out if we can allow non-square aspect ratios.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
When the avatar images were imported it resized them to make them square. Since yours was not square it zoomed in and cropped the top and bottom. Trying to figure out if we can allow non-square aspect ratios.
Thanks Todd. I will try to "square up" my image am re-import it.

And just to show; I do have edit now. Thanks.
Anything on the signature pics? (OOPS - never mind, just saw you reply to my other post.)

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

Most images are not square, so imposing that requirement seems a little strange.

Last edited:

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
In the old forum, new posts were identified by a yellow 'marker'. What happened to that? or am I doing something wrong. I liked that feature that enabled one to quickly glance over the forum categories to see what has not been read.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
In the old forum, new posts were identified by a yellow 'marker'. What happened to that? or am I doing something wrong. I liked that feature that enabled one to quickly glance over the forum categories to see what has not been read.

To find which forums have new posts in them, look at the Rootes lion. It's dark when there are new posts, and it's grayed back when there's nothing new:

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.59.49 PM.png

You can tell which threads have a new post in them with the help of the little blue dot to the left of the thread title:
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.59.59 PM.png

As for which posts within a thread are new, theres a little gray "New" at the top right of the post:
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.55.40 PM.png

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Greg - you are the best! Thanks again for without you and Todd we would still be wallowing around wondering "who, what, where, when, why". Your time, expertise and willingness to serve this organization is without parallel. regards, P

CapeCodTom

Donation Time
Like the new site, good job, but why did the "C'mon Man" thread say I had insufficient privileges to reply here? Tom

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Like the new site, good job, but why did the "C'mon Man" thread say I had insufficient privileges to reply here? Tom

Forum-by-forum permissions were picked up from the old site automatically. If I recall, only users who have made a donation in the past year have permission to post in the SAOCA Members & Discussions Forum. But it was never a very active forum, so no one really noticed.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

Is the avatar issue being addressed? My avatar displays correctly in my profile (which indicates that it was correctly imported from the old system), but is still being cropped when it is displayed in posts.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Is the avatar issue being addressed? My avatar displays correctly in my profile (which indicates that it was correctly imported from the old system), but is still being cropped when it is displayed in posts.

I see that yours is displaying properly now, so congrats. The way the new site treats avatar images is that for rectangular images, it makes them square, so it fills the frame with the shortest dimension (effectively zooming in on the image). There's nothing we can do to change that. The problem is in that on the old site, the images themselves were low-res, so when you talk about zooming in on an already low-res image, the low gets lower.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to replace the image with something new and better. It's both a problem and an opportunity.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greg,

Thanks for the response. My avatar is displaying correctly because I changed the image from rectangular to square.