• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New 8" Rear End Installed

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
8 inch rear

Just finished installing my second one...both with 3.55 gears and Traction Lok. The first one is on the street and driving for the past 2 years. New owner has abused the hell out of it ( street racing ) and it's still going strong. I use Ford Mustang rear ends cut down to same specs as the original Alpine rear end. The second one has custom axles by Moser out of California with the flanges drilled for same bolt pattern as Alpine. I don't think a V6 could break one of these 8 inch rear ends. Good luck with yours....looks really good.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Specs have been posted on this in a previous post but essentially drum face to drum face it is 3/4 inch narrower that the Alpine original to allow for difference in offset using Mustang II style rims. Uses the original Mustang bolt pattern, which is the same as the Alpine'. The front hubs have had the studs changed to 1/'2" from the 7/16 to match the rears.

Yenko

Donation Time
Nice job, I did the same thing on my SV and I don't regret it...I also took the originals shock brackets of the Alpine...Looks more 'stock'...
But, instead of playing with E-Brake cables, I installed a TSM pinion mounted parking brake...Boy, everybody should have this on any of their vehicules...it is so easy to install and very fonctional, and I could take the original Alpine E-Brake cable...
Once again...Very nice JOB and clean also...:)

britbeam

Donation Time
Nice job, I did the same thing on my SV and I don't regret it...I also took the originals shock brackets of the Alpine...Looks more 'stock'...
But, instead of playing with E-Brake cables, I installed a TSM pinion mounted parking brake...Boy, everybody should have this on any of their vehicules...it is so easy to install and very fonctional, and I could take the original Alpine E-Brake cable...
Once again...Very nice JOB and clean also...:)

Could you share a P/N ,where you purchased the TSM and did you mean you used the original Alpine Cable system? Will this application work for our non modified Alpine diffs?
Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy

britbeam

Donation Time
Specs have been posted on this in a previous post but essentially drum face to drum face it is 3/4 inch narrower that the Alpine original to allow for difference in offset using Mustang II style rims. Uses the original Mustang bolt pattern, which is the same as the Alpine'. The front hubs have had the studs changed to 1/'2" from the 7/16 to match the rears.

Only 3/4" difference? I thought it would be much more than that. Jose what is your experience with this? I was thinking it was like 3" but maybe Im misunderstanding this. Thanks appreceate the answer.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dwain,

I think what Alpine II was saying, is that his rear end was cut to be 3/4" shorter than the stock Alpine rear end is to accomodate the wheels he wants to run. I recommend making it the same dimension as the stocker, and using neutral offset wheels.

Jose

Only 3/4" difference? I thought it would be much more than that. Jose what is your experience with this? I was thinking it was like 3" but maybe Im misunderstanding this. Thanks appreceate the answer.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Yenko

Donation Time
britbeam,

No, this TSM pinion mounted E-Brake won't work on the original Alpine rear-end...only 8 inch Ford,9 inch,Dana44,Vette,Jag or some other rear-ends...
And Yes, I didn't modified the original E-Brake cable,only had to cut the existing cable to the length that I needed and fabricated the braket that hold the cable...:)
Go see my webshots SUNBEAM ALPINE V6 at page 5 ==»http://community.webshots.com/user/yenko_copo

Yenko

Donation Time
Jim,
I fabricated a STOP with a tube that I made tread inside than drill a hole in center of that tube for the cable to go in, than install 2 stainless stell screws, one at each end of that tube to squeze the E-Brake cable .
That fabricated STOP was then install in a clevis,that clevis was then drill the same size of the cable ...anyway...all that to say that I will photo the STOP...and you'll see...:D

Yenko

Donation Time
Jim,
Here's what I meet...:p
Sorry...but I don't have my other camera...so photos are :mad:

Attachments

• Pinion Mounted E-Brake Braket.jpg
    Pinion Mounted E-Brake Braket.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Pinion Mounted E-Brake2.jpg
    Pinion Mounted E-Brake2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 47

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Yenko. As always, the pictures tell the story. I now understand what you were describing. The reason I was asking is that the e-brake cable on my SV is too long. Not too long from being old and stretching, but too long from new. I had to adjust it to its minimum length from the very beginning. (IIRC, I bought it from the UK on eBay and it wasn't returnable.) And even then, it only really works if you pull the brake up all the way. I've always wanted to shorten it, but have been concerned about the stability of any kind of homemade stop. Your system certainly works, but I would be concerned about the screw working loose. Did you use permanent Locktite on it?

Not to hijack this thread (and, since you are using this system, hopefully anything that comes of this discussion will be relevant to you), but seeing your setup does give me an idea. I wonder if it would be safer if you welded the screw in? That way it could never loosen up. Alternatively, does anyone know if you can weld steel cable? Screw the screw (so to speak); why not just weld the stop on?

Yenko

Donation Time
Jim,
A friend of mine who works in a safety inspection car center, told me that , welding is not the best way ,it's the easiest but certenely not the safest, it should be(or must be) screwed...like the hitch on a truck...hitch are not legal if you weld it but if you use botls and nuts it is...:)
BTW...this original 3/16 e-brake cable could be welded at the end...I tought about it too...but, like everything in Hot-Rodding...It's never the easiest way that works...:D

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for that information. I wasn't necessarily thinking about welding because it was easy. I just didn't want to risk a screwed in stop letting go at a bad time.