• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Netflix v6

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Watching Rust Valley Restorers on Netflix - a series about two western Canadians running a salvage yard for choice cars - and the few that they restore. In the last episode they uncover a Series 1 Alpine and put a v6 in it ...
upload_2020-9-15_0-32-37.png

Attachments

• IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 30

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I love the show and how crazy Mike Hall is. It kind of floored me that he pulled a working and nicely dressed motor out of a SI to drop a V6 in. Not that I'm a purist because imo no one regularly drives a stock English car lol. But with three Sunbeams on his lot, I'm surprised he picked that one. It makes me want to get a SI and buy that motor off of him lol.

With all that said, I think the 2.8 V6 setup is the best thing for the Alpines. It looks good, it looks balanced and it seems to get near-Tiger power for what looks like limited modification to the Alpine. I remember aeons ago that V6Jose was making parts and touting about this kind of setup. DanR, is yours descended from his, older or different? Mike Hall was talking about having a Sunbeam with a V6 way back when, so it made me wonder just how long the V6 setup was done for Alpines. Please forgive me if I'm coming off or sounding rude, I'm quite the opposite and glad people like you are helping keep these cars on the road. It's to the point now that I'm starting to learn how to build the 1725 engine because there's starting to be very few mechanics left who know our cars... or will even touch them, in general.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I love the show and how crazy Mike Hall is. It kind of floored me that he pulled a working and nicely dressed motor out of a SI to drop a V6 in. Not that I'm a purist because imo no one regularly drives a stock English car lol. But with three Sunbeams on his lot, I'm surprised he picked that one. It makes me want to get a SI and buy that motor off of him lol.

must agree with you Scotty in that you think the 2.8 V6 setup is the best thing for the Alpines. It looks good, it looks balanced and it seems to get near-Tiger power for what looks like limited modification to the Alpine.

Yes, aeons ago V6Jose was making parts and touting about this kind of setup. He has a wealth of knowledge on the FORD 2.8 V6.... Wish he lived near me. I must give credit to Jose for doing his version of the V6 Alpine. Had I not found him on the SAOCA Forum I would never thought of the V6.

Now after all these years of experimenting with what I picked up from him and all the other GUys that have gone through the conversion process, both trials and errors have actually made things better for all of us. Even you guys that are now learning what the FORD V6 in an Alpine is all about:)

I bought one of his kits back in 2007 for an Early SIV GT BW35. Good quality kit items, just thought that some of his design could be improved upon so I set out making engine mounts that sat firmly on the cross member, not off the back side and his headers were designed primarily for drag racing (stuck out the side behind the front wheels) where mine are designed to run straight back like the Tiger exhaust system. I tried to get him to build straight back headers, He said the would cost too much. I designed them in just a month or so, but after three long years of my trying to get them build/fabricated I can understand joses's reluctance NOT get into building them. Loads of money in design and fabricating.

From the talk Jose was an early V6 Conversion Guy but there are some interesting writing about a Military Guy in North Carolina doing the V6 in early '70's name JOhnson as I recall. Johnson's Article is on the TEAE web site.

Mike Hall seems to have either bought one (V6 Alpine) or converted it a good while ago too!

He made contact with me and asked for one of my "Kits" for the Show he was planning. He got all of the conversion components I offer.

With improved conversion components, adding new items such as Electric Power Steering and Rear Disc Brakes to the Sunbeam we can now have a real modern driver.

Suggest you give it a try, You will like it:)

DanR

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Having went thru the rebuilding of a 1725 on my last Alpine, which was a learning experience. Saw a couple of V6 pines and liked the fit. Availability of 2.8 V6 being in the large qty along with the kits makes it a good project. Money wise it’s about the same as rebuilding a 1725. Dan has some well thought out upgrades to improve Sunbeams conversions, well done!-Al

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I saw my first Sunbeam alpine in late spring 1961 after the snow cleared in Toronto Ontario. It was red and came flying down Dufferin Street into the little Italian store on the corner across the street from our apartment. All the cars around were dirty from winter sludge but this thing was bright red I ran across the street just to see what it was and clearly remember Sunbeam Alpine. I was 9.

I always loved the way these cars looked, and the fact that not everybody on the planet has had one, just made them unique for me.

Truth be known I've only driven one, maybe two, four-cylinder Alpine's. Wasn't for me. I couldn't afford a Tiger when they were $20k, and sure can't afford one now. I just love the balance and handling of a V-6. they look and sound great.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan - I was glad you got a mention in the show. I have to say I can't stand that Avery guy. Almost makes me not want to watch the show. He is the worst kind of heavy handed hack mechanic and totally annoying to boot. Maybe it's an act, but it's hard to watch.