• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need your thoughts.

skywords

Donation Time
I have tooled and produced some of these hydroformed copper badges for rocker covers. They have an exact sized letter S from the body script lettering, the S is hydroformed into it and painted red, or could be any color.
I am considering selling these and wondered what your opinions are. I would need about 50 dollars each for they take some time to make. They will attach with either pro-seal or RTV or any adhesive of your choice. The pictures don't do them justice they look much better than the pictures.

100_0375.jpg

100_0354.jpg

100_0368.jpg

100_0361.jpg

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I would ask if you could do the same in nickel?

Copper looks nice and all, but it will corrode pretty fast or will need some sort of clear coat to prevent the oxidation.

Nickel on the other hand is far less reactive and will take a nice polish, and will probably match the raw aluminum castings better too.

Just a thought.

skywords

Donation Time
I would ask if you could do the same in nickel?

Copper looks nice and all, but it will corrode pretty fast or will need some sort of clear coat to prevent the oxidation.

Nickel on the other hand is far less reactive and will take a nice polish, and will probably match the raw aluminum castings better too.

Just a thought.

My plan was to coat with clear urathane enamel after polishing. I can make them from nickle I will have to soarce the material. I could even make from gold if someone is willing.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice! But any sort of finish you use would deteriorate pretty quickly in the under-hood environment. I'd go with plating them... chrome, nickel, even gold, for those who are feeling flush. Since it is already copper, one quick flash of nickel, a brief buffing and then a coat of chrome would do fine.

skywords

Donation Time
If I plate them the price will increase and probably have no sales. I would have to take two hundred to the plating shop in order to get any kind of price at all. I like the copper myself but that is why I ask for input, what I like doesn't matter. The price of plating is such now you can make them from silver sheet for almost what it costs to plate. I do appreciate your thoughts. I do remember seeing old race engines with copper induction systems that looked very nice. I am not sure how long the copper will hold it's polish but if you are like me you are always wiping with a rag and spreading that Shell anti corossion compound (oil)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I too have seen copper items in engine compartments... indeed, my 1957 Turner 950S had a copper cross-over pipe connecting the two intake manifold sections... it looked good, but then I was constantly having to polish it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Looking at the photos i assumed you made the S from the body lettering..they are nice, but my preference would be to have a larger "S" i feel its a little small. A larger letter would better suit the proportions of the total badge.

just my .02..

also rick.. if you are able to make these a good market might be reproducing the LeManns badges for the harrington rocker covers... or offering ones with the hartwell logos etc..

65beam

Donation Time
thoughts

michael,
we made the lemans badge in the mid 80's. we also used my glove box badge to make a run of them.

skywords

Donation Time
I would be glad to try any needed project but without having one or even a picture it is impossible. How many would be needed? The only Lemans rocker cover I have seen has the S milled into the diamond boss.

On the corossion issue of the copper, the material I pressed these out of has been on my shelf for twenty plus years and not corroded at all. It was left over from a copper roof we did twenty plus years ago. I think we are selling this beautiful material short.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would be glad to try any needed project but without having one or even a picture it is impossible. How many would be needed? The only Lemans rocker cover I have seen has the S milled into the diamond boss.

On the corossion issue of the copper, the material I pressed these out of has been on my shelf for twenty plus years and not corroded at all. It was left over from a copper roof we did twenty plus years ago. I think we are selling this beautiful material short.

Rick, the covers with the S in the diamond were off rapiers as stock and apparently available for alpines as an option. The Harrrington LeMans had a rectangular badge north south on the rocker cover with the LM script... but maybe there is not markt at the moment.. was just a thought.. i could do some badge designs for you if you wanted..

skywords

Donation Time
Rick, the covers with the S in the diamond were off rapiers as stock and apparently available for alpines as an option. The Harrrington LeMans had a rectangular badge north south on the rocker cover with the LM script... but maybe there is not markt at the moment.. was just a thought.. i could do some badge designs for you if you wanted..

That would be great, I have been thinking maybe the lion and crown or just a crown above the S ? It would be some meticulous engraving but might be fun. I have the current badge on ebay as well as a cover with it attached. Not much excitement over it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
That would be great, I have been thinking maybe the lion and crown or just a crown above the S ? It would be some meticulous engraving but might be fun. I have the current badge on ebay as well as a cover with it attached. Not much excitement over it.

Rick,

I'll contact you via email.. another thing that might be worthlooking at is a plate to cover the blanks on the S3 onwards cover at the front where the early ones say "SUNBEAM" you could do those, holbay ones.. or.. alternatives.. "HARTWELL" "VIZARD" what i think would be nice is the sunbeam script as per rapier fastback/MKII Tiger/stiletto

skywords

Donation Time
Rick,

I'll contact you via email.. another thing that might be worthlooking at is a plate to cover the blanks on the S3 onwards cover at the front where the early ones say "SUNBEAM" you could do those, holbay ones.. or.. alternatives.. "HARTWELL" "VIZARD" what i think would be nice is the sunbeam script as per rapier fastback/MKII Tiger/stiletto

I will PM you with address just in case you don't still have it.

Uh Oh your PM box is too full could not send so here it is just insert the @ for at
skywords at earthlink.net