• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need to replace my V6 disti

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a 2.6 V6 in the Alpine and I finally found the root of my >3K rpm miss, the disti is worn to the point that the center shaft can wobble at higher rpm, affecting the dwell.

I'm looking to replace and assume that a disti from at 2.8 will work?
How hard is it to convert to an electronic ignition unit?

Does anyone have a unit that they would sell?
IMG_0759.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have purchased several new distributors and most recently one from an Ebay gent.

Let me find the INFO and I will get back....

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
NorCal, Here is a some info on one I recently purchased.
Seller information
1970patrick (56 )
100% Positive feedback

NOS-DISTRIBUTOR-MOTORCRAFT-2-8L-171Cu-In-V6-GAS-OHV/253425329469

s-l500.jpg

New

Quantity:
9 available16 sold

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan. This unit has electronic ignition, so I'd need to sort out the ignition control box and associated wiring as well.

Ken

Fergusonic

Donation Time
Dan, (or anybody) : How about posting Wiring Dia / info / etc about this Distributor. .... I may want to buy one.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I spoke with Dan, looks like a straight forward job. For my application, I just need to verify that my 2.6 disti is compatible with the 2.8 disti.

This is what I am seeing, maybe Dan can confirm:

Out of the duraspark II module, remove white and red wire from #1 connector. White to the start side of ignition, red to the run side of the ignition. On the #2 connector from the Duraspark, green needs to be separated out from the connector and sent to negative side of the coil. The other wires in the #2 connector with orange, purple, black should plug in to the disti. - Done

duraspark II.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Duraspark II module is a good unit and easy to install. However, I found them to be heat sensitive (short life) when installed in the engine compartment. Failure does not mean you have a dead engine, but an engine that does not run right or mysteriously dies, but will restart. Can be very expensive. Anybody remember our Canadian friend at Invasion VII (I think) who pulled the timing gear cover off of his poorly running V6?

Install the Duraspark module under the dash.

Bill

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you to @DanR for helping me through the confirmation that the disti's are the same as well as the lead on the part I ordered. Much appreciated.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Just an update, I bought a duraspark II aftermarket module, wired it up in advance and when the disti arrived from Europe, dropped it in. It started first crank, adjusted timing and it runs like a champ. Thanks again for the help.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, it took me too long to figure out the problem, but glad I did and to hear the motor purr at high rpm is really nice.....now it’s time to make it roar a little :)