• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need help with speedometer cable

modelafish

Donation Time
This is about the Tigers distant cousin; my 69 TR6 with a 289 Ford V8. I bought the car in 1971, put the V8 in it in 1989, but have never had a functioning speedometer. I finally retired this year and started doing all the things that have been neglected, literally, for decades. It has the C4 automatic transmission, but it appears the connection is the same as with a standard. I have a Smiths speedometer in the dash with a fitting approximately 15/32 inch in diameter. What I need to know is if this is the same type of Speedo in Alpines, and therefore, if an Alpine speedo cable should work in my application. And then where to get them.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
a good speedometer shop can make up a cable for you with the correct fittings. I had new cables for my two V6/T5 conversions made by APT in Bloomington, MN

APT INSTRUMENTS
9632 HUMBOLDT AVE S
Bloomington, MN 55431
Phone Number: (952) 881-7095
Web Address: www.gaugeguys.com

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Tiger/non Sunbeam speedo cable

A suggestion for Darksiders trying to mate a Sunbeam speedometer to a Ford transmission....makes no difference if it's manual or automatic transmissions.

On my first one I used a Mustang (64 to 67 ) factory issue speedo cable and had a local speedo shop remove the Alpine cable transmission end and replace it with a Mustang piece and nut. Bolts right into a T5 transmission and with the stock Alpine speedo end, it worked very well.

On my second one, I used the Tiger 140 mph speedometer with the T5 and all it took to hook it up was a stock early Mustang speedo cable...bolted right up and worked fine.

Mustang cable was purchased through Musstang Classics out of their catalog for about $20. There are two different lengths of speedo cable and you want the longest one....the shorter one won't work....too short ( ask me how I know this ). The first cable modified by a speedo shop was about $15 to change out the speedo end of the cable.

I hope this information will be useful in curing some of your speedometer cable issues.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cactusmasher, (Anyone ?) I just found a site that has gear sets for the T5 and I have been trying to determine the correct gear for my Commodore Blue V6 with the late Mustang T5 and the Alpine SV rear axle 4:22. I'm running P195 55 15's
so, they had a couple of the speedometer gear sets as possible options, one was a pink with black gear 4:10 ratio and a black with black gear 4:30 ratio.

How did you run yours? What rear ratio and T5 speedometer gears?

DanR

P.S. So for I have utilized the GPS.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Or.....you can get a GPS speedo and get rid of cables.

As I said, I do have a GPS but it is not dash mounted.

Bob, are you going the easy route (eliminate cables) and installing a GPS in the Harrington?

Haven't figured a way to utilize my stock gauge and the GPS. Anyone have GPS with the SV face for the Gauge?

DanR

alpine_64

Donation Time

Bob, are you going the easy route (eliminate cables) and installing a GPS in the Harrington?

Haven't figured a way to utilize my stock gauge and the GPS. Anyone have GPS with the SV face for the Gauge?

DanR

Yes.... One of the guys in the tiger list did gps speedos... Think they have early font... Cant recall if he did mkii style ( sv) but you get 140mph reading.. Great for v6 and 5 speed

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the tip Michael, now to figure who the Guy is..... I'll start looking.

Probably would be a nice addition to my other V6 stuff

65beam

Donation Time

DanR

Dan,
I'm sure you know there are GPS speedos available thru several companies. I'm using the original speedometer that was in the car. I did have it checked, repaired and it will be hooked up. I'll still have the GPS hanging on the windshield.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

DanR

This was the first company I heard of that was making converters like this, but their website says the control units are out of stock. Still, it might be worth calling them:
https://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic

Speedhut has a similar unit, but apparently only for domestic cars:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/speedhuts-new-speedbox-easiest-speedometer-conversion-ever/
http://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/2585/SpeedBox™-GPS-VSS-to-Mechanical-Drive-Speed-Converter

I wonder if the Classic Innovations cables fit the Speedhut unit?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan,

Email sent ...

They are for sale.. $575 for speedo and matching tach to 8k.. Tach Can be adjusted to 4 6 or 8 cyl pulse.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Speedometer help request by Dan R.

Dan: Sorry to advise I can't help you on this one. Sold off all my cars and parts and sent all my books, manuals and folders of information with the cars and I have none of that left. My memory doesn't recall what gears I had in the T5 but I used 3.55 ring and pinions exclusively and installed traction locks in the rear ends. The internet has a site ( I believe it was the Borg-Warner site ) that will tell you what gears came in your T5, using the serial number as I recall. I had printed out the whole T5 list and knew what exact gears were in my T5s. As for the speedometer gears, check with Ford Mustang parts books. They will tell you what color of speedometer gear should work with your set up. You need to know tire diameter, rear end gear and some other stuff I don't remember..There is a formula for figuring out the gear to use, but I don't have it anymore. The information is out there but it takes a little digging to find it.
Good luck and sorry I can't be of more help.