• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need Help...lost wipers, temp gauge, and fuel gauge

inline_eric

Donation Time
Hi guys,
Me again with the new alpine...I have been working on getting my car road worthy...so i replaced the oil pressure gauge line with a line I bought from Sunbeam Specialties (As a side note the line sent to me from SS had two female ends on it, where the original line has one female end that connects to the oil gauge and one male end that connects to the brass tubing that is connected to the engine block) I called them on this and they said nobody has ever told them about this...can you guys check your 1725 cc motors and look at the oil line to determine what kind of fittings are on it from the factory...Sunbeam Specialties should be aware they are not sending out correct replacements for the Alpine 1725cc...

Anyway, the reason I am writing is after I replaced the line....I realized I lost use of my wipers, turn signals, dash turn indicator lights, temp gauge and fuel gauge....I looked behind the dash and noticed these all are connected with a black or negative wire...my wire seems to be intact...maybe I broke a connection somewhere but I can't find it...has anyone experienced this type of multi-gauge/switch loss...what should I be looking for to correct this problem?

Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks,
Eric

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Eric, are you running stock wiring harness?

IF so, check the fuse block for a blown fuse.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Is this a Series V? Sounds like the white to green fuse, either blown or corrosion on the fuse holder. Basically the only fused circuit on the car. Check to see if your brake lights are out as well.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Eric, if no one beats me to it I will look at one of my oil lines and verify what I have in the morning.

inline_eric

Donation Time
Thanks guys,
I took out the fuse and it didn't look corroded but after I replaced it every thing started to work again...I do have a stock wiring harness...everything is stock...its a cool car but very frustrating...Please check your nylon oil pressure gauge lines where they connect to the copper tubing on the block and let me know if it has a male fitting on the end...I will call Sunbeam specialties to see if they can get the right part from the UK...
Eric

scotdunc

Donation Time
I had this very same problem not so long ago. Blown fuse was the cause, but the underlying problem was the voltage regulator (instruments), which must have been 'on its last legs'. Replacement, and correction of PO's "interesting" wiring efforts brought everything back to life. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Toot toot all

Twoputt

Donation Time
For the life of me I can't find the fuse holder, supposedly coming from one of the white wires from the ignition. Any help would be appreciated!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you have a stock wiring harness, the fuse holder is under the hood. mounted to the left wheel arch.
It has two fuses in it and may have a cover on it ( sometimes the cover is missing).

It's unlikely that a fuse blew, most likely a wire got disconnected or broken. What issues are you having?
The stock wiring harness caught fire and burned in my old Series IV and neither of the fuses blew. Caught fire
from a dead short. The DPO had run the headlight power wire on top of the choke cable so that every time you
pulled the choke, insulation was worn off until the wire hit the metal on the cable sheath. Needless to say it took
a long time to sort out that mess!
Cheers!
Steve

Twoputt

Donation Time
I was under the impression that there was an additional in-line fuse that I was missing. Clearly not the case. I did find a loose ground and the temp and fuel gauge have returned to life. The wipers still do not work. Must be another loose wire? I changed both fuses and cleaned the fuse clamps.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Disconnect, clean and reconnect the ground for the wiper motor may be all it needs.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Definitely try the ground and fuse connections first. If that doesn't work, just FYI, my wiper motor didn't work when I bought my SV in 1978. I opened up the case and found a lock washer stuck between the gears. I have no idea how it got there but suspect it was dropped inside at the factory and just stuck harmlessly to the grease for about 11 years. I pulled it out and it has worked ever since. I have also heard of the grease solidifying after 50 years and causing the same problem. So, if all else fails, open up the case and have a look around.

loose_electron

Donation Time
If you don't already own one a multimeter would be a useful addition to the tool kit. The original wiring in the car is not a well thought out design, and has a lot of problems like this.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
A bad ground at the wiper will only affect the wiper "parking" mode. Most likely the black ground wire at the wiper switch is missing or not grounded. Especially likely in view of the fact that you already found loose grounds under the dash affecting the gauges.