• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need guidance Installing a Tonneau cover

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone out there familiar with installing a tonneau cover on a Series II? Looking for advice. Where is the best place to start? How tight should it fit? What works, what doesn't, Do's and Don'ts, etc. Special tools?

alpine_64

Donation Time
If its a correct early series tonneau that has the fasteners that go onto the front screen, firstly ensure that your screen is set at the correct angle and softtop and window guides all sit well.. As if you change those later it will impact the tonneau fit.

Id start by getting the fit where the areas that reach around the window guides to the screen close and correct.

Then work your way back, does the cover have the short zips on each side to allow you to fold it into the back? If so make sure they will clear the B posts to allow it to cold nicely...then fit to the rear.

I would start at the front and work back on an early car due to the mounts on the screen frame.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Just remember to unhook the outside flaps before opening the doors. Most used tonneau covers I've seen have the flaps ripped or missing.

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael and Knightowl,
Here are pics of the original (believe it to be original) and my replacement. Bought many, many years ago. Original had 12 lift DOT fasteners. Replacement only has 5 lift dots, then several snaps. Shape is different in the front on the old version. Wonder if it was for a Sunbeam. The newer version looks visually to be a better fit. Will need to buy seven new lift dot fasteners. Was thinking that starting from the front is best. Get it centered, work to each side, then towards the back. I'll have to look for Utube videos online to see how to fasten the lift dots.

Attachments

• New.jpg
    New.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 35

alpine_64

Donation Time
The original looks like the very early style that clipped onto pegs in the screen de-misters, the new one looks like the later sii style with pins mid dash pad and rear not extending back as far.

Was the new one an older aftermarket.. Or you bought new recently? I had a lhd robbins in that pattern about 15 years ago but sold before installing as i had a rhd.. The early style were NLA for quite a while

65beam

Donation Time
Does your car currently have Lift A Dot studs on either the crash pad or the defroster vents?

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
MIchael,
Bought the new one probably 15+ years ago. I think I bought it from SS? It is same length as the original. Old one did not have the steering wheel bump out. No fasteners installed on the new one. Probably going to follow what was on the original. Going to put the old one on to see what it looked like and how it fit.

65 Beam,
Yes. Twelve lift a dot studs. No snaps.

65beam

Donation Time
MIchael,
Bought the new one probably 15+ years ago. I think I bought it from SS? It is same length as the original. Old one did not have the steering wheel bump out. No fasteners installed on the new one. Probably going to follow what was on the original. Going to put the old one on to see what it looked like and how it fit.

65 Beam,
Yes. Twelve lift a dot studs. No snaps.
I asked because it's next to impossible to add the studs to the dash area if the windshield is installed. If you don't have the Lift A Dot pieces to go on the cover then you can buy them from Rick. They're easy to install to the cover.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We are doing the same job here at the moment. It is well worth getting the correct tool to punch the hole for the lift-a-dot sockets. The tonneau we are fitting (on a Series V) will need to have extensions fitted (like your original has) because we want it to fit to pegs in the central air vent holes rather than drill holes in the roll top.

Tim R