• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mystery #3 (Regular mystery theater)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I put the turbo on the 2.0, I ditched the 30 year old turbo oil supply hose and used a piece of 1/4" steel brake line with factory flares. Bought the proper adapters, did it "right". After roughly 150 miles, the end at the block starts spouting oil. Big time. Removed the line, saw nothing wrong, reinstalled it, made double sure it was tight. Still spouted oil between the steel line and factory flare fitting. Removed the line and adapter fitting. Saw nothing wrong, but bought another adapter fitting. Reinstalled, still spouts oil. The line does not appear to be broken, the flare (factory) appears to be good.

This is a line carrying about 80 psi of oil. Can't figure (A) why it would suddenly start leaking and (B) why in the hell is it leaking.

Any ideas? Are engine vibrations a no no when using flared steel brake tubing?

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Bill I know you said proper adapters fittings etc. but is ti single flare, bubble type,single flare and do these match. When doing my brake mod I had a similar problem only to find what I thought was a double flare fitting was a bubble fitting.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Dwain.

It is all new, stuff double flare stuff from places that are not even aware of the existence of bubble flares. At first I thought maybe the adapter flare was for some non-brake line application which was the main reason I changed it. No difference.

This morning, talked to the manager of the local Advance Auto Parts store. He said Ford used this kind of rigging on his Turbo 2.3. So the application should not be the problem.

Oh well, going to try power steering hose.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My guess would be a crack at the flare.

Its possible there is a crack at the base of the flare. There is line there, but it is hard to tell if its a crack as it goes about 1/2 the way around the line.

Rick, how common is this problem? I think this is the first time I've had a line leak that could not be cured by a little tightening.

Bill