• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mustang or Ranger 2.8 crank pulley question.

craigb

Donation Time
Hey guys, I am working with a Ranger engine and putting the necessary parts on it to make it fit in the Sunbeam. I am ready to swap the timing cover now. Do you know if I must use a Mustang crank pulley, or can I use the Ranger pulley I have? It's a double pulley and I expect to use an electric fan.
Thanks in advance, Craig

britbeam

Donation Time
Craig I cant speak to the pulley question but sure Jose will post to this . I just want to say I didnt find the electric fan to be the best option for me down here in the Georgia summers of the south. The volvo mod fan works the best for me and anybody can modify the fan not a difficult project at all. In fact most of this mod is easy accomplished by most people with help at times with the things such as machine work etc. Good Luck
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Craig,

You can have the Ranger double groove crank pulley modified, by having the outer groove turned off in a lathe. The water pump pulley from the Ranger will not work however, because it is too deep. The Ranger has longer pump. It will hit the timing cover before it seats on the flange.

Jose

Hey guys, I am working with a Ranger engine and putting the necessary parts on it to make it fit in the Sunbeam. I am ready to swap the timing cover now. Do you know if I must use a Mustang crank pulley, or can I use the Ranger pulley I have? It's a double pulley and I expect to use an electric fan.
Thanks in advance, Craig

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ranger water pump pulley

Would it be possible to use a spacer to make it stand off enough to line up w/ the crank pulley?
Any progress on the tie rod snafu?

craigb

Donation Time
Thanks for your help! So, if I go with a modified Ranger crank pulley, do I look around for a Mustang II/Capri water pump pulley and a Volvo fan? Is there a thread here on the Volvo fan set up? Which Volvo fan etc?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

If you space out the water pump pulley, you will be negating the effect of the shorter early water pump. You need all the room you can get in front of the engine, in order to be able to fit an engine mounted fan.

The tie rod ends are in and my niece said that she had told the fabricator to ship the last three kits. I told her that she would need to go down there in person, in order to get them off the dime. Hopefully, you should be getting yours soon.

Jose

Would it be possible to use a spacer to make it stand off enough to line up w/ the crank pulley?
Any progress on the tie rod snafu?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi craig,

The fan comes from a 70s Volvo. You might want to ask the guys on the board that have done the mod, to see which years they got one from. I would look for a Mustang II/Capri.Capri II water pump pulley. I wish someone would make an aluminum pulley to fit this application.

Jose

Thanks for your help! So, if I go with a modified Ranger crank pulley, do I look around for a Mustang II/Capri water pump pulley and a Volvo fan? Is there a thread here on the Volvo fan set up? Which Volvo fan etc?

dmich2

Donation Time
I have the aluminum adapters with new Volvo fans attached. Contact me if you're interested. See below.

Dennis

Picture211.jpg

Picture210.jpg

britbeam

Donation Time
Dennis have you modified the length of the blades for clearance of the water outlet or will the buyer have to reduce the length themselves?
Dwain V6 Krazy

dmich2

Donation Time
Thanks for asking Dwain. YES. The buyer will need to trim the blades to clear all obstructions. I DO NOT offer the fans pre-trimmed as applications can differ. It's really a simply procedure, even I did it. I placed the fan and adapter on the pulley loosely. I then turn it until it hit the water outlet and marked it. I removed the fan assembly and trimmed the majority with a coping saw, leaving about 1/8". I checked it on the car again and if all was good, I take the assembly off again and use a bench mounted grinding wheel (the stone type wheel for sharpening stuff) and carefully gring the excess plastic down to where I want it. The process works great. After I'm sure 1 blade will clear, I make a template of the trimmed blade out of cardboard (then type used on beer cartons works great **hic** :rolleyes:), mark the others and do the process 4 more times.

Dennis

dmich2

Donation Time
Doug, tried to respond but your inbox was full, so here's an answer:

Yes, I will sell the adapter by itself. They are $50.00 which includes S&H. Just some FYI's. The adapters are aluminum, 1/4" thick, 5 7/8 " in dia., the mounting holes for the pulley are 2" on center and there is a 1" diameter hole in the center. They come with a brushed finish. Please realize the Volvo fan will need to be trimmed to clear the thermostat housing and anything else. Just let me know. I take PayPal.

Dennis