• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mufffler preference for V6

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Magnaflow? Flowmaster? AP Exhaust? Walker? Thrush? Cherry Bomb? (showing my age here )

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
Flowmaster is great. Got the car with only one pipe out of FM. Had it modded to have two tips. I think the tips were $350 both. Sounds good and look even better. If I had to do them again I would get chrome and have them further out from the bumper. WHen I said I would like the tips ,moved out i was told that would be another $175. WTF? I can weld and tho it may not be as purdy as their work I am not willing to pay $550 PLUS
plus $175. A few months later I went into decent auto parts store and I could have grabbed a few pre-fabbed elbows, some straight pipe and some tips and could have saved at least $300. I hope you can see how you can learn from my mistakes.
Ya, your age is only a number until you try to run up stairs!

Attachments

• Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Exhaust2.jpg
    Exhaust2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A couple of small Dyno Max turbo will be very quiet and provide the flow you need. Remember, 200 hp dual exhaust needs mufflers that would be at home in a 100 hp car.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Magnaflow? Flowmaster? AP Exhaust? Walker? Thrush? Cherry Bomb? (showing my age here )
Paul,

I guess what you aren't telling us is what sound/ volume you want...

Do you want something snarling under acceleration that then goes quiet on light throttle ..

The same as above but a deep tone ..

Quiet don't let people know it's a V6.. happy neighbours system..

Stainless steel pipes will change the sound too...

What are you looking for?

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul,

I guess what you aren't telling us is what sound/ volume you want...

Do you want something snarling under acceleration that then goes quiet on light throttle ..

The same as above but a deep tone ..

Quiet don't let people know it's a V6.. happy neighbours system..

Stainless steel pipes will change the sound too...

What are you looking for?
thanks for the response - I can rule out Cherry Bomb. That would be good for my GMC pickup but they would be too loud for Ol Blue. I ran Thrush Turbos on my Tiger and I would have preferred a few more decibels - they were pretty quiet. So I guess what I'd like is something in between - decent rumble at idle, not raspy when I lean on it and not too noisy at cruise. I have a Thrush Turbo on the existing single exhaust and it is pretty quiet. Thoughts?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Paul, Dyno max has an Ultra Flow version similar to Flowmaster but less drone.

alpine_64

Donation Time
thanks for the response - I can rule out Cherry Bomb. That would be good for my GMC pickup but they would be too loud for Ol Blue. I ran Thrush Turbos on my Tiger and I would have preferred a few more decibels - they were pretty quiet. So I guess what I'd like is something in between - decent rumble at idle, not raspy when I lean on it and not too noisy at cruise. I have a Thrush Turbo on the existing single exhaust and it is pretty quiet. Thoughts?
Paul ,

Depending on your exhaust routing, you could use something like a flowmaater 50 series under the floors then if it's to harsh at cruise add some free flowing resonator at the back (like a hotdog) to just take the edge out of it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Paul A, Do you remember Tom Johnson former Membership Director out of Atlanta, GA? He just finished a V6 Conversion in one of his Alpines and has a set of mufflers that sounds very nice.

I do not remember what the numbers are for them but I will PM Tom and perhaps he will remember wat he is using.

Slainte

Donation Time
I tried some generic glass packs many years ago. Installed backwards, they didn't last long and required hearing protection. Currently, I'm using a pair of AP Xlerator turbos. At idle, they sound great, but I don't care for the snarl during acceleration. However, at speed with the top down, conversation in the cockpit is possible.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Paul, Just received this from TomJ,

Howdy Dan,
The mufflers I'm using are WLK-17704 from summit they were about 50$ at the time
Tom j

And here are the: Item specifics (and dimensions I found):
Material
Steel
Interchange Part Number
AP Exhaust 6519 Summit Racing
Finish
Aluminized Steel
Case Length (in)
14.000 in.
Case Shape
Oval
Inlet Diameter (in)
2.000 in.
Inlet Location
Offset
Inlet Quantity
One
Internal Construction
Turbo-style
Muffler Finish
Aluminized
Muffler Material
Steel
Outlet Diameter (in)
2.000 in.
Outlet Location
Center
Outlet Quantity
One
Overall Length (in)
18.000 in.
Outlet Style
Standard, without tip
Width (in)
7.750 in.
Seller
Summit Racing Equipment
Brand
Walker
Manufacturer Part Number

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is anybody using Magnaflow mufflers? I am happy with them on other cars I have. Though both are V8 with a H-Pipe. Nice throaty sound when on it, quiet cruising. No drone.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, Just received this from TomJ,

Howdy Dan,
The mufflers I'm using are WLK-17704 from summit they were about 50$ at the time
Tom j

And here are the: Item specifics (and dimensions I found):
Material
Steel
Interchange Part Number
AP Exhaust 6519 Summit Racing
Finish
Aluminized Steel
Case Length (in)
14.000 in.
Case Shape
Oval
Inlet Diameter (in)
2.000 in.
Inlet Location
Offset
Inlet Quantity
One
Internal Construction
Turbo-style
Muffler Finish
Aluminized
Muffler Material
Steel
Outlet Diameter (in)
2.000 in.
Outlet Location
Center
Outlet Quantity
One
Overall Length (in)
18.000 in.
Outlet Style
Standard, without tip
Width (in)
7.750 in.
Seller
Summit Racing Equipment
Brand
Walker
Manufacturer Part Number
Thanks Dan These are Thrush Turbo mufflers. I had a pair on my Tiger and also on one of my V6 cars. Nice sound, decent price. Available at O'Reilly and Advance - probably others as well.