• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Movie review

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I missed that earlier comment. One difference for me might have been that I saw Rush with my wife, who clearly wasn't enjoying it, and that might have impacted my assessment. I saw F v F with friends, so the vibes from the next seat were definitely better this time!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Imho. Not going to debate which was better. I think I could spend a cold miserable snowy day watching Le Mans, Grand Prix and these two.

I just ordered The 24 Hour War and the Carroll Shelby documentries off Chassy.com

Make that an upcoming weekend..

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok. Got to see the movie tonight.. Sure a fair bit of hollywood and little things to keep the non-auto enthusiast entertained, but it was still fun to watch.

I think the Daytona sceens may have been better than the Lemans race sceens for camera work.

What really grated me though ( and assume its deliberate to help move superperformance replica cars) was the number of cobras and daytona cobras and GT40s in the background at shelby with the larger modern wheels and low profiles... All the feature cars were period correct... But the background cars were often not... Am sure its deliberate... I dont think the set guys would have missed that.

Anyway.. Worth it... But is a pitty they didnt have the miles FP alpine in his shop given that was the right period for it... Oh well...

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I haven't seen it yet, BUT, Hollywood and reality generally do not go together on the same plane. They just can't let the real world speak for itself. I certainly love to be entertained, and they do that well, just give the documentaries to someone who loves and understands history on it's own merit.
Rant over. Jeff

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I haven't seen it yet, BUT, Hollywood and reality generally do not go together on the same plane. They just can't let the real world speak for itself. I certainly love to be entertained, and they do that well, just give the documentaries to someone who loves and understands history on it's own merit.
Rant over. Jeff
Jeff, I get where you are coming from. But it is very difficult to tell a long story (say one that covers multiple years) in two or three hours. So you end up with characters who are a compilation of several people, scenes being created in order to make a point, etc. All of this is okay as long as the fabric of the story remains true. As an example, Lee Iacocca played no major role in the negotiations with Ferrari, but the outcome was presented correctly.

The fact that we have reviewers nit picking the tires on background cars tells me the movie delivers the goods.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
About the only thing that bothered me Hollywood-wise were the repeated scenes of drivers staring each other down, while driving 200 mph. Maybe I am wrong, but I cannot imagine professionals ever take their eyes off the race.

alpine_64

Donation Time
About the only thing that bothered me Hollywood-wise were the repeated scenes of drivers staring each other down, while driving 200 mph. Maybe I am wrong, but I cannot imagine professionals ever take their eyes off the race.

They also seemed to downchange on the staights to pass the other driver for a bit more acceleration......... Actaully... Thats worse tban nust normal hollywood effects.... Thats nust1 plain wrong... :-s

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've got a couple. My favorite is shouting paragraphs at each other while racing in closed cars. With no mufflers. A close second is the horrible "thunk" sound those expensive gearboxes make when shifted. I told Barb I hear gravel trucks with quieter transmissions.

Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
They also seemed to downchange on the staights to pass the other driver for a bit more acceleration......... Actaully... Thats worse tban nust normal hollywood effects.... Thats nust1 plain wrong... :-s
I found that pretty funny as well. They had the late breaking part right, but the downshift to pass suddenly giving you more top end speed was laughable

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Imho. Not going to debate which was better. I think I could spend a cold miserable snowy day watching Le Mans, Grand Prix and these two.

I just ordered The 24 Hour War and the Carroll Shelby documentries off Chassy.com

Make that an upcoming weekend..
Senna