• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

More HELP V6 overheat

cdk84

Donation Time
Thanks to all who responded to my first post.

Turns out the clutch and clutch hydraulics are shot.

That's relatively minor: head gasket it gone, too. (gaskets? don't know yet)

Seller says his mech can fix for $1.5-2 K and he'll split this with me ($1 K) or let me out of the purchase.

My thoughts: if the clutch is fixed I could drive the 500 miles home, but I'd rather have my mechanic do the head work. Also, "since I'm in there" I'd like to put in a lightened flywheel.

First: is the engine damaged, having been driven with a blown head gasket (don't know how long --seller is not a car guy, wouldn't recognize symptoms)?

Second: would I further damage engine driving 500 miles highway home?

Third: should I just let the car go, or is it worth another $1K above 7.5 purchase price? Car *is* CA rust free Series V with somewhat built V6 (performance cam, 4 bbl), heavy duty rad, rebuilt brake calipers, Martha Wheat (gray with blue piping) interior, nice [not OEM color] paint, roll bar...

It's not an easy call to make for me. If I add up the parts, the price seems a bit high, once the new work is done, but it's then a running riving car in pretty good shape. I would put in shocks and a couple of other things, but nothing expensive.

Fourth: what's a V6 Alpine worth in good shape?

Fifth: THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT

Cheers, David / Fin Fan

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi David,

I highly recommend not driving the car at all, 'till the head gasket is fixed. You would run the risk of ruining the engine.

A V6 Alpine is worth a little more than a stock Alpine in the same condition is. I don't think $8.5K is too much for a good running V6 Alpine, that is in as good a condition as you describe.

The only other question I would ask, is whether the engine is a 2.8, or a 2.6, because to me, the 2.6 is going to cost more to repair, should it require it. The smaller engine would drop the price, in my opinion.

Jose :)

cdk84

Donation Time
V6 Overheat Part Deux

Jose & Mike H:

Thanks for the quick esponses.

As for the engine, Jose, it's a 2.8, coupled to a 5 speed from a '91 Mustang. Rear end is Tiger with 3.77 ratio.

There is no way that I can determine from here that the head gasket is blown (me: Massachusetts, car: Philadelphia). I am at the mercy of the seller's mechanic at the moment. (I have yet to speak with him to determine his reason for the diagnosis)

I could pay $700 to tow the car here, but then I would own it, no matter what the damage(s) to the engine. If I took that route I would not pay the guy any more money, rather he would knock $1K off the $7.5 K price. BUT I would be stuck with the car, damaged or not. Seems like a bit of a gamble to me, until I can be sure of the seller's / mechanic's integrity. I'm not questioning them, but I the seller is an unknown entity to me, he is not a club guy, nor, as I said, is he knowledgeable about cars.

There are so many horror stories about cars on ebay that I want to be cautious. I'm buying this car because I like V6s, it's a decent car -when fixed (my favorite four-letter words are 'rust free') and I want something to drive for the next couple of years until my other projects are finished. That said, $8.5 isn't excessive, but it's wasted if the car spends its next four months off the road, ya know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Great Day, All
David / Fin Fan

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, in some manner it's broken, and it's going to cost either time or money to fix. You might propose the $1K per player fix as a cap on what you will pay for them to deliver a running vehicle that passes a compression test/rod knock test/combustion-byproducts-in-the-coolant test. (You pick the verifying mechanic in the PA area.) If it doesn't after they go through the process, it's their money they spent, not yours -- you walk away (or re-negotiate.) If it does, then you've got at least what you thought you were buying in the first place, although for more cash than planned.

If you rent a truck and trailer from Ryder, is it 700 with gas? Do you have a buddy with a hankerin' for a road trip? Getting it to you won't be free, but you might be able to beat that 700.

Rust-free, presentable inside and out, etc. is worth some money, especially if you want to drive right away...

Ken in Columbus