• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

more conversion fun

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
Once again, I call upon the vast knowledge out there...any advice on the best radiator set-up? what works well with the v6? has anyone gone with throttle-body injection rather than a regular carburator? is it worth the expense? Will a 15" wheel work (with a 5 bolt pattern) using low profile tires? (the rear disks may not work with the 14" rims I was planning to use. Thanks in advance, all help on this is greatly appreciated. Kevin

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Once again, I call upon the vast knowledge out there...any advice on the best radiator set-up? what works well with the v6? has anyone gone with throttle-body injection rather than a regular carburator? is it worth the expense? Will a 15" wheel work (with a 5 bolt pattern) using low profile tires? (the rear disks may not work with the 14" rims I was planning to use. Thanks in advance, all help on this is greatly appreciated. Kevin
Hi Kevin,

A fifteen inch wheel will fit, but you must watch out for the correct back spacing. I should be neutral offset, which means that the mounting surface of the wheel, should be in the middle of the width of the rim. I have used a 195/50 15 tire on my Alpines, without any problems.

Which disc brake set up are you going to use? If you are going to use the Mustang GT rear discs, I can tell you, that they will fit inside a fourteen inch wheel. I put a set on my latest project, and the fourteen inch wheels fit perfectly. With wide tires you will have to roll the lip in the inner fenderwell, or you will experience tire scrubbing.

All you need to do to go with a five bolt pattern, is to have the front hubs drilled for the five bolt pattern, and order your axles with the same five bolt pattern. If you use the Mustang II axles, you won't meed to do anything to make the disc brake hat fit over the flange. It fits like it was made to.

I have found that you will need a heavyduty three row core, installed in your stock radiator frame. You will need to swap the inlet and outlet nipple locations. The bottom nipple needs to come out of the bottom of the lower tank, because if you put it out the back side like most radiators have it, you will have a terrible time trying to put the lower hose on. If you don't normally cuss, you will become proficient at it before you are done.

The lower nipple needs to be a 90 degree elbow, that comes out the bottom and points toward the middle of the radiator and slightly back toward the engine (about 5 degrees). The lower leg shouldn't be more than 1.5' long, because if it is, ti will go past the inlet on the engine, and you will play heck finding a hose that will work without kinking. One last thing; make sure that the nipples they put on for you, are the same diameter as the ones on the engine, or you will have to find a stepped hose to make it all work.

Jose :)

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose. I have an 8" rear axle from a '67 mustang that has been modified to match the alpine. I had the front hubs redrilled in the same pattern. I am using a set of "wildwood" rear disks which have the interior parking brake set up. My brake supplier said the 14" rims wouldn't work with the rear disks and I would have to go with 15" rims (after I had sourced a set of temporary rims and tires to roll the car around on, of course). So 15" rims it will be. Thanks for the info on the radiator, it is going into the shop today with the tanks. Unfortunately, I didn't think about measuring the engine water outlets before dropping it off at the rebuilder yesterday. Two forward, a half-step back. Thanks as always, Kevin