• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Moe Mountain Massacre

blownhorse

Donation Time
I recently bought a Series II Alpine on Ebay that I had planned to junk out. When I got it, sure enough it has plenty of rust and a pretty rough body. But then I noticed primitive fender flares, roll bar, rear traction bars, rear sway bar, fiberglass seats, dual webers/Warneford intake, and 1725 engine. What really intrigues me is a placard proudly displayed under the hood right beside the latch. It says 'Moe Mountain Massacre' and is dated 1970. Anybody out there remember or know anything about this car or event?

Doobs

Donation Time
Never heard of it...However...I would sure like to see some pics of the car!!!:p

I recently bought a Series II Alpine on Ebay that I had planned to junk out. When I got it, sure enough it has plenty of rust and a pretty rough body. But then I noticed primitive fender flares, roll bar, rear traction bars, rear sway bar, fiberglass seats, dual webers/Warneford intake, and 1725 engine. What really intrigues me is a placard proudly displayed under the hood right beside the latch. It says 'Moe Mountain Massacre' and is dated 1970. Anybody out there remember or know anything about this car or event?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
You mentioned you had bought it on Ebay. Where did this car originate when you had bought it?

Now I am really curious what the story is behind the car.

Steve

blownhorse

Donation Time
As was discussed earlier, I bought it from a guy in New Jersey. He said he got from some old guy that lived around there. That's why I didn't get the title. Because it's a Series II, I cleaned up the firewall brace and found the S/N stamping. Right now it painted an ugly yellow with a Parish hardtop. Another weird thing is someone installed NACA scoops in both front fenders behind the tires, but they don't go anywhere. I am planning to send photos to Steve this weekend. If I can figure out how to post here, I will.

blownhorse

Donation Time
FDU Sports Car Club

Went out to the shed to look the car over and take some photos. I had forgot the plaque under the hood had more inscriptions. In full it says; FDU, Sports Car Club, Moe Mountain Massacre, April 26, 1970. Also found a SCCA sticker under the hood in the left rear corner. The car was originally red. Noticed a New York DMV sticker in the windshield dated 1976, number 3540010.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Could this be FDU?

http://view.fdu.edu/default.aspx?id=5233

http://view.fdu.edu/default.aspx?id=238

I am betting that it was the Florham Park, NJ Campus. Len Amato was a dealer in Morristown just down the road from the Florham Campus. Len, who owned one of the Sebring cars, was very active in racing.

Anyway, I bet there is a connection with Len. Not sure how to find out more but it would be great to locate the early owner to have a chance to talk to him about Len.

Steve

blownhorse

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

It's been 3 1/2 years since this topic was discussed. Much time has been spent trying to run down the history on this car. Unfortunately, no history could ever be discovered. The car was severly rusted and it was time to part it out and rescue some of the racing parts that had been with the car for such a long time.

I finished dismantling the last of the usable pieces and parts of the car today. While brushing away a pile of leaves that was packed in the corner of the engine bay just behind the fender wells, out pops a 1969 Watkins Glen 11th annual Grand Prix of the US dash plaque. How fitting that the car gives me one final clue of it's history. At some time in this car's life, it had a great run.

Regards,

Jim

Attachments

• IMG00161-20110905-2120.jpg
    IMG00161-20110905-2120.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 57

Ktapply

Donation Time
Thanks for Sharing.....

This is very interesting.. I am pleased to have the engine from that car. I am anxious now to tear it down and see what gems may lurk inside......

Would seem fitting that the owner of the engine should have that plaque.. dont you think :)