• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modified Alpine Rear Shock

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
I am new to the club, just purchased a 1964 Series IV Alpine with a 2.8L engine with a narrowed Ford rear end.
So I looked through a lot of the threads talking about the rear shock absorbers and how they will not raise the ride height.
The rear of mine sits that my hand is really tight sliding "upwards" in between the rear fender and the tire.
The rear also bottoms out hard when driving.
I thought I might need new shocks, but now should I be looking at the rear leaf springs?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks

Positraktion
Former cars:
1958 Hillman Minx (1967)
1959 Sunbeam Rapier (1968)
1965 Sunbeam Alpine Series IV (1969)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger (B382000020LRXFE) (1970-1973)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger ((B382000010LRXFE) (1980-989)
Present 1964 Modified Series IV Alpine

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sounds like springs aa a atarting point.. You could place some blocks between the spring and mount.. A raising block rather than lowering.... A few guys in the tiger community sell rear springs..

Also note you owned 2 very early MkIa tigers... Nice ;)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The tube shocked Alpines use shock that are compatible with the Olde Tyme coil spring shock mounted spring helpers.
Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, Would this type of shock stiffen the ride?

Spring rates are additive, so yes, a "helper shock" will stiffen the ride. That may be preferable to the suspension "bottoming out" or the fender lip damaging the sidewall of the tire, but the correct solution is to re-arch or replace the rear leaf springs.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Positraktion,

IF you find any type of spacer mounted in between the axle spring mounting pads and the leaf springs, remove the spacer and put everything back together and retest. A spacer in that location lowers the body in relation to the axle, but also limits upward travel of the suspension. If there is a spacer, re-arching the springs AND using a lowering block is counterproductive.

Hope this helps,

Positraktion

Gold Level Sponsor
Had the springs rebowed, as per the shop manual: "Installation is reverse of dismantling"......................Ya right.
Put front eye bolt on, back is about 1/2 bolt head short, how the heck do I get the rear eye in?????????
I have pried, used pencil punch, can't get that hole lined up. HELP !!!!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll second use of Bill's chosen installation tool. I had to install a spring with a slight axial twist one time. The adjustable wrench allowed enough leverage to complete alignment.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rear bushing swung as far forward as it will go and your spring is still too short. Either the front bushing hole is not oriented properly or the spring has too much arch. I'd check the bushing hole. It should be located in the middle of the eye. Sounds as though yours is located at the rear of the eye.

Bill