• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modern Wiring

cnalbers

Donation Time
Some of you may be familiar with the Sunbeam Alpine channel on Youtube. On it there is a video about updating wiring in the car. The channels' administrator graciously offers to send documentation/schematic on how to perform some of these modifications (see attachment), which he sent quite promptly. Unfortunately, the wiring is different for us North American owners in the lighting circuit.

I am trying to install a relay in the lighting circuit main/low beam. The install for the high beam was straight forward and I had no issues, but I cannot seem to figure out the low beam. Add to this that I am not well versed in electrics... I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

Can anyone help me out as to where the relay taps into the BLU/WHT circuit? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Classic Car Modern Wiring 2021.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Based on the verbiage in the wiring pdf file, I would expect these wires to be on the floor "high/low beam switch" and would then go to the two headlight low beam terminals. I dont have an alpine schematic right now to verify the color code though.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I added relays for my lights between the high/ low switch and the lights. So I have power from the light switch to the high/low switch then I ran the high beam wire to one relay and the dash light and the low beam wire to the other relay.

cnalbers

Donation Time
I added relays for my lights between the high/ low switch and the lights. So I have power from the light switch to the high/low switch then I ran the high beam wire to one relay and the dash light and the low beam wire to the other relay.
Yes, this sounds like what I am trying to do. I have a separate relay for the high beams and had no trouble hooking it up because the wiring for RHD and LHD are identical, but not so for the low beam. I am going to be running my Panel lights into the #2 position (parking lights BITD) on the Lights switch and using the Panel switch to power interior lights in the footwell.

So where, exactly, does your low beam wiring connect with the relay and which wires go to each terminal (30, 86,87)?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
From the diagram that you provided, terminal 86 from each relay runs to the dip switch that
changes ( switches) from high to low and vice versa, In order to have both high and low, you
need those wires on the switch. It doesn't matter whether it's right or left hand you have to have
the low beam wire on the switch. If you look at the switch, there is a power in, and low & high
beam terminals. Sounds like you have the power on the wrong terminal, so only one light will
work. Of course, depending on what series car you have, the switches are a bit different but work
the same way. Try switching the wires around. The inboard terminal is the power terminal ( late series
cars) . It doesn't matter which side you have the high and low beams on as it just switches the power to
each lug.
Hope that helps a little.
Cheers!
Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time
I looked at that wiring diagram and the electrical engineer in me cringed. If you are not trying to maintain an "all original" type of car - Give some serious thought to rewiring the car with a modern wiring harness and some intelligently placed fusing. The original "from the factory" fuse setup was not well thought out and was not safe.