• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modern gasoline

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As near as we can tell, we quit driving the Alpine the 3rd week of last October, the fuel level was down to somewhat more than a quarter of a tank. It was stored in our basement (about 60 degrees) while I worked on it and then got sick. Today was the big spring roll out. Can't say it fired up immediately, but started running when I decided to give the starter a break and released the key. Pretty good for six and a half month old gas with a fuel system that had been opened to work on the car.

The car is starting and running fine on the old gasoline. I have to wonder, just how necessary is gasoline stabilizer?

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would think a couple of factors are involved. When you quit driving it, did you run the carb dry. This would help prevent the gumming and rubber deterioration associated with ethanol. That is assuming you are running ethanol. Another issue is the humidity it was stored in. If the basement is climate controlled, then available moisture was reduced that could be absorbed by the (again assuming) ethanol. I had an issue with my Kawasaki powered mower. It sat with ethanol in it and seemed to run fine until the fuel got low and I started sucking water from the tank. Another time it ruined the float valve and flooded the cylinders with gas. Had it, raw gas, flowing out of the muffler.

I just saw the EFI post. Are you running EFI? I have old gas in my RV, and it fires right up after sitting. It is a FI 460 Ford.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would think a couple of factors are involved. When you quit driving it, did you run the carb dry. This would help prevent the gumming and rubber deterioration associated with ethanol. That is assuming you are running ethanol. Another issue is the humidity it was stored in. If the basement is climate controlled, then available moisture was reduced that could be absorbed by the (again assuming) ethanol. I had an issue with my Kawasaki powered mower. It sat with ethanol in it and seemed to run fine until the fuel got low and I started sucking water from the tank. Another time it ruined the float valve and flooded the cylinders with gas. Had it, raw gas, flowing out of the muffler.

I just saw the EFI post. Are you running EFI? I have old gas in my RV, and it fires right up after sitting. It is a FI 460 Ford.
I am running EFI. As to ethanol, I have no idea, but probably as I get the highest octane available and pumps are seldom marked as to ethanol content.
Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, where are you located? In Iowa, where I live and most of the ethanol is produced, the content must be labeled on each pump. Btw, I am in a fuel ethanol plant as I type this.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was surprised to see so many stations in Iowa that carried non-ethanol premium. This was last summer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I happen to live in Cedar Rapids, but am currently in Shenadoah IA in the far SW corner of the state. I am starting up a protien recovery system at an ethanol plant there. If they cant make any money making ethanol, they need to sell higher value coproducts and that is what I am working on.

65beam

Donation Time
All gas coming out of Ohio fuel terminals has 10% ethanol. Originally had to do with tax breaks. Stores close to the surrounding states may have non ethanol gas due to pulling the gas from a terminal that is in another state based on mileage to haul the product. There is an ethanol plant about 30 minutes south west of Columbus. A good scenario is it seems to work today,off the next. Demand for gas right now is down.