• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MOCK up for Heat & Air

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What A/C unit are you planning on? Will you go with the Heat and Air unit? If so, you can eliminate the heater core and the big bulky fan.

I have some PIC's on how to use the Old Air Hurricane. I'll loan you my mock up unit I bought from them if you would like to test the fitting.

Attachments

• Old Air Mock up    20181231_162003.jpg
    Old Air Mock up 20181231_162003.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Old Air Mock up   20181231_161910.jpg
    Old Air Mock up 20181231_161910.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Old Air Mock up   20181231_161925.jpg
    Old Air Mock up 20181231_161925.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Old Air Mock up   20181231_161946.jpg
    Old Air Mock up 20181231_161946.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Old Air Mock up   20181231_161935.jpg
    Old Air Mock up 20181231_161935.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow! Did not know they offered mockups. I made mine out of cardboard, using their published dimensions. Turned out to be close enough.

Bill

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm going with the Old Air Hurricane Unit as well on my SI V6 conversion. I also purchased the mock up case. I've been trying to decide which way to go with the controls. I'm fabricating a new burl wood dash panel and plan to eliminate the slits for the stock heater control levers...that will leave enough space to utilize the individual rotary controls that Old Air sells...I also think that will look a little more period or retro correct than one of the other control options that would mount under the dash

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm going with the Old Air Hurricane Unit as well on my SI V6 conversion. I also purchased the mock up case. I've been trying to decide which way to go with the controls. I'm fabricating a new burl wood dash panel and plan to eliminate the slits for the stock heater control levers...that will leave enough space to utilize the individual rotary controls that Old Air sells...I also think that will look a little more period or retro correct than one of the other control options that would mount under the dash
I haven't gotten to the controls yet, But like theirs very much.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
I got a vintage air heater/defroster and was able to eliminate the heater core and that ugly heater valve under the hood.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I got a vintage air heater/defroster and was able to eliminate the heater core and that ugly heater valve under the hood.
Hi, Pete! Glad to hear from you!

I used the Vintage Heat and A/C unit in my Blue Boy. Like you, I eliminated the old heater core and the big bulky fan assembly and I found a nice small valve for off/on to the water heater.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Old Air recommends using their funky "control valve" plus a shutoff valve. What nonsense. I found the control valve did not control and the shutoff valve did not shut off. A $15 Ford truck/van manual heater control valve (from the 80's) is the ticket. Gives excellent control and will completely stop flow when in the "OFF" position. Inline control and reversible action make for an easy, effective installation.

A little warning: Controlling heat output by controlling water flow is a clunky process. Takes about 10 miles for the new setting to become effective.

Bill

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
IMG_0038.JPG Dan. I tucked the vintage air heater valve in the hole where the OE heater core came from. They have some nice bulkhead fittings for the pass thru to the engine bay. See firewall. Not excited about the plastics control panel though. Might have to make a change... it never ends.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
View attachment 18044 Dan. I tucked the vintage air heater valve in the hole where the OE heater core came from. They have some nice bulkhead fittings for the pass thru to the engine bay. See firewall. Not excited about the plastics control panel though. Might have to make a change... it never ends.

Your car is the same color as mine was originally. I repainted mine Midnight Blue. I was not aware how rare the Orchid Green was.