• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MkII Tiger, in GA

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I received this email today via our Facebook page:

To whom it may concern,

We have a '67 Sunbeam Tiger MKII for sale and I was wondering if there was any way to share info about it on your website or in print?

http://danrapley.com/sale/1967-sunbeam-tiger-mkii-289-v8/

Thanks,
Stephanie Hack
Rapley Classic Cars

The company is in Connecticut, but the car is in Georgia. Just passing this on for anyone who is interested. Stephanie has joined the forum and will step in and answer any questions as soon as she is able to post.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad you POSTed it here for all to see!

Hate to see anyone sell a Sunbeam, But if you must, Sure wish you well on a price you like:)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe that pictures of the car from 2013 are here: http://s796.photobucket.com/user/samouce/slideshow/Tiger MKII

Never say never, but I don't see any practical or financially feasible way that the shell of the car shown in the 2013 pictures was "restored" to the condition of the car that is currently being sold.

It is a nice looking car, but I would want to see pictures of the restoration process as well as a TAC certificate.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
I've seen worse cars restored using the same body. Anything is possible if you have enough guts to tackle the job.. Randy Willet restored a Harrington body that had to be as bad as the Tiger photos if not worse. The restoration was shown on the CAT forum. Here's a few photos of what can be done if you don't like what you have. This is my series 4 that Tiger Auto restored and Doug had better panels so100_0500.JPG 100_0510.JPG 100_0507.JPG he just cut and replaced.

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
That's quite possible. The shop that did the body/paint work on the Harrington charges me $90.00 per hour plus materials and I know of one that charges $150.00 per hour. It all adds up.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
How much would it cost to put the unique Mk-II pieces on a decent Alpine or Mk-I shell?

65beam

Donation Time
Depends on the condition of the donor body and how much rust or other damage has to be repaired. The hourly rate is the same for restoring an Alpine or replacing the tunnel and removal or addition of a few unique Tiger parts. If you have ever seen a Tiger body in the nude after being pulled out of the tank at a dipper you would see that the welds done by Jenson are rather crude as is some of the cutting they did to the Alpine body during the conversion so it's all a matter of time. Remember that the trimmed out / painted bodies designated to be Tigers were built on the Alpine line and had parts such as the tunnel, bulk head tabs, etc. left off so Jenson didn't have to remove the parts not needed for a Tiger. I've never got an answer to my question if Jenson added the extra tab under the car or was it done at Pressed Steel. If you decide to swap sections of the inner fender panels and fire wall using the Tiger pieces with the Jenson welds instead of doing a lot of conversion requires a little more time due to cutting, fitting and welding. What would the cost be today to have a shop to remove the big fin fenders and add a late model clip to a series 3 such as Carl Christianson did to his race car. Again it's a matter of time involved and are you willing to pay the final amount. You might want to ask an owner that has done it. I do know what the cost is to have a restoration done with work such as my previous photos of my series 4 show. The rear fender that was installed was from a MK 2 body that was written off many years ago due to some serious damage. The facts are that the final cost when Doug gave us back a completed, painted shell with windshield, windows and restored suspension was maybe four to five times what a nice Alpine would sell for at this time. Again, what are you willing to pay?