• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Missing VIN placard

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
Some time between 1978 and last week, the VIN placard was removed from my dad's 1962 Alpine. We have the NJ Registration information so we know know what the VIN is, we just don't have anything hanging on the card with the VIN. Is there a way to get a reproduction VIN decal that we can rivet to the body?

Is there any other place on the car that would contain this information? I know under modern car circumstances there would be all sorts of legal hurdles to accomplish this task. My only other choice is to bring it to the local DMV and have them issue a new VIN. I'm not keen on that idea.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I just got my SIV registered in California, new plates and all after it dropped out of the system, and a third of the page of my vehicle inspection had to do with the VIN as a checklist with multiple options like where it was, how it was attached (including what -type- of rivet was used, if any), was the VIN itself stamped into metal, plastic, etc.

The only other place I know of that would have your Alpine's VIN info on, outside of your pink slip, if all original, would be on the engine block. Rick at SS (http://www.rootes.com) sells some the info plates, but I've never seen an Alpine VIN plate in his catalogue. Would be worth a call to ask him!

The one on my SIV is just a metal plate next to the specs plate, with the VIN stamped on it with rounded rivets, if that helps any. Good luck with this bro!

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Look at the block, just above the fuel pump there is a machined flat spot with the VIN number stamped on it. Assuming this is the original engine the number stamped there will match your NJ registration number, in case any official has any doubts about your car.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Some time between 1978 and last week, the VIN placard was removed from my dad's 1962 Alpine. We have the NJ Registration information so we know know what the VIN is, we just don't have anything hanging on the card with the VIN. Is there a way to get a reproduction VIN decal that we can rivet to the body?

Is there any other place on the car that would contain this information? I know under modern car circumstances there would be all sorts of legal hurdles to accomplish this task. My only other choice is to bring it to the local DMV and have them issue a new VIN. I'm not keen on that idea.
In your September 11th post, you said you recently came across a "63 Alpine" that is very good condition but here you state the car is a 62. The only Alpine produced in 1962 was the Series II but the Series 3 production began in March 1963.

Before you do anything to produce a replacement VIN tag, you would do well to determine just which Series Alpine you have since the type of VIN tags differ between the SII and S3. Toyanvil's link shows a tag for SII whereas Scotty's link shows one for a S3.

Mark ..... volvoguys