• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Microcell seat foams

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The microcells I bought from Bill Atalla are very nice but the bottom seat foams have seen better days. When you find a fine layer of powder under each seat after a trip you know they've dried out.

Have any of you with Microcells discovered any solutions, or are you taking Rick's seat foams and modifying them?

65beam

Donation Time
foams

we have a set of harrington seats at the upholstery shop. he is making the bottom seat foams out of what he calls high density foam. you'll find it in the seats of my red harrington.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
What was Ian using in the repro seats he was building?

Not sure he ever actually finished seats, did he? Think he just had frames repro'd. I'll have to ask .

I can get a guy to do custom work too but would like to do it myself if possible. That's why I asked if anyone has been resourceful and used readily available seat foams to do it themselves.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Scott,

A hot wire cutter and soe high density foam and you can cut the shapes you need. Down here we have a store called Clark Ribber that will make stuff like that to your own spec.. i would assume USA has similar stores.

I wonder if you could use a latex base? Do the microcells you have use a webbing or diaphragm base?

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Webbing. Yeah we got guys here too. In fact the guy who did my Sebring seats could do this but everybody seems to be missing the question.

Has anyone with Harrington style Microcells tried using Rick's lower seat foams.
I would think the ones for Series II would be close enough, perhaps requiring some trimming.

If the answer is no then I'll move on to the custom ideas suggested so far by you guys.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Scott,

Not tried the SII modified squab, the Microcell foam shape would be close.. what you should do is try and get the measurements on the foams rick sells and see how close they are.

65beam

Donation Time
foams

the last time we upholstered the seats in the red harrington we had the seat foams made and the shop cut the foam to the shape of the original. he cut and glued some sections to the front using the original foams as a pattern. he then sewed the foam into a bag and then it was sewn to the seat covering. the sides of the covering still snaps to the frame underneath as per original specs. he also glued a piece of the black panel board that he uses for door panels ,etc as a base between the foam and the bag. this gives support between the webbing and the cushion. my original seats from the moonstone car have 5 webbing strips running from front to back and one across the center from side to side. i have a set of seat frames that ian had made. they came with the RHD lemans he had when i bought it. the shop is doing these seats the same way. most custom shops would rather make the foams if they have an original foam to use as a pattern.if you're reusing the covers you have the foams may have to be enlarged due to the covering being stretched.

65beam

Donation Time
foams

scott,
does rick now carry the foams for the early seats? they're not shown online or in his printed catalog.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Foams

I checked with Rick at SS a few months back and he said he has not had early Series squabs for some time.

Rick Guest