• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MGC Heater Control Valve

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My series V original heater control valve finally gave out. I installed an MGC heater control valve, as it is similar looking to the original Alpine heater control valve. During the install, the plastic (?) hose connection point separated from the valve body. It appears the hose connection was just glued in.

Have other folks had this issue with these valves? Anyone figure out a glue that will work or another option for the hose connection?

Obviously, I can return the valve for a refund, but that doesn't get me a working valve.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Alpine Capture 012 heater control valve.JPG
    Alpine Capture 012 heater control valve.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 63

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, That is a real bummer!

I would make contact with the Seller.... They may have already had some similar problems. Never hurts in a case like yours.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I purchased one for my Series V from Curt at Classic Sunbeam. I had one of the Healey/MGC valves and
it leaked as soon as I started the car. Curt told me that he has sold a lot of these valves and hasn't had
any problems with them. I believe he gets them from the UK.

I still have to get my car to a running state to see if mine leaks.

Hope that helps,
Steve

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The first heater control valve I purchased from Curt in 2015. I installed it in late 2017. After 70 miles, it started leaking out the control pin opening. I was running a 9 lbs radiator cap. I looked up the MGC setup and they ran a 7 lbs cap. So maybe my pressure was too high. I installed a 7 lbs radiator cap. I bought a second heater control valve from Little British Car Co. Same part as the first valve as far as I can tell. The plastic hose connection piece came loose during installation. The glue consistency seems like a silicone component or like a rubber cement. Jeff at LBCCo contacted the supplier and they said they did have a bad batch of valves, but the valve I had received was after that bad batch. I've been asked to secure the plastic hose connection so it can't move during the installation. Seems like a ticking time bomb to me.

Mike

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, Here is a PIC of a Non-stock water valve that has been on the Blue Boy for atleast 6 years without any problems. Originally put on while I was running my 1725 engine, retained it after the swap over to the 2.8 V6.

Sorry about the PIC not being more detailed. Can post another if you need. Have the Mfg and Part number available too.... just need to find it.

The valve is on the fender well right behind the coil. In this PIC it was not yet connected because I was still installing all the little pieces.

Attachments

• DSC01265.JPG
    DSC01265.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 78

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

Thanks for pointing out another option. I may open up my original heater control valve and see if I can fix it, possibly using parts from either of the two failed MGC valves I have. I suspect there is a rubber disc inside the original valve that has failed.

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim,
That link won't allow non club members the ability to view the adaptation. Could you possibly
cut and paste the article?
Cheers!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I saw the same thing about the link....went ahead and registered to the SAOC....

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

I registered today as well. Received an email that my registration was approved. However, the thread is for members only.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
This photo is an MG valve that I modified. I cut the one section off and then took the valve to the local hardware store. They sell various aluminum sleeves in the plumbing section so we looked for a sleeve or spacer that would be a pressed fit. I used a small amount of clear JB Weld epoxy and pressed in place using my vice. 110_0247.JPG

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
here is a part number that I pulled from CAT
BHA4918 Late MGC Heater Valve author Micheal King
I had a ultra cheap 10 dollar one made by Murray the folks that used to make lawnmowers and bicycles. Google cable actuated heater valve. Some early 2000 ish Honda cars had a OK one if you like plastic ones.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
here is a part number that I pulled from CAT
BHA4918 Late MGC Heater Valve author Micheal King
I had a ultra cheap 10 dollar one made by Murray the folks that used to make lawnmowers and bicycles. Google cable actuated heater valve. Some early 2000 ish Honda cars had a OK one if you like plastic ones.
I think earlier Hondas also had a similar valve. Doug at Tiger Auto used them for years. I have a couple of them in the bin so if anyone wants a photo of it let me know. It is very similar and Doug used the Honda bracket because it was very close to the Beam style.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I've recently had the end cap pop off my heater valve where the push rod goes in. I contacted Curt at CS (not who I purchased from), and he said he sold many (UK sourced), and only had two failures... and those failures were the pressed fitted hose connection coming out. I took a chance and ordered one from him and noted that the end cap still looks like there isn't much holding it on.

Ric

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The hose connection is plastic with smooth walls. The valve body where the hose connection mounts is smooth too. Just mounted with glue. Beyond me how someone thinks it will work for any period of time.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2170 cropped.jpg
    IMG_2170 cropped.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2171 cropped.jpg
    IMG_2171 cropped.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 26

65beam

Donation Time
An original valve and a Honda valve Doug installed on a car we bought a few years back. The Honda valve has the numbers ND0341R. Have no clue wh

Attachments

• 110_0251.JPG
    110_0251.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 49

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I prefer the stock look . I only suggest the aftermarket ones as a spare to carry . What seems funny is how the later stock one was billed as an upgrade. The earlier valve comes apart with removal of a rivet and it's easy to clean out debris.
I saw a really nice small double barb ball valve for PEX at Home Depot yesterday too bad it was 1/2 "
I picked up a couple of fittings for the long trip kit for bypassing a heater valve it'd be nice to have a cheap bypass or shut off for when an original or substandard repop fails. The cheapest one I ever used was a coat hanger....
On a VW ;-)