• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

MG / Rover

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Boy it really takes the deal now that China has bought out Rover of the UK and involves the making of the MG. They say they are going to "revolutionize" the MG to a more usable and saleable vehicle??:confused:
Whew.
chuck

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
In my Backyard!

:confused:
Yes seems the old GM plant in Oklahoma City which was stripped out by GM will have a new owner. Right here in the heartland of America they will built a MG owned by a Chinese company. :rolleyes:

Oklahoma has always had a diversified culture since so many nationalities came here for the fee land during the land runs. This was after they moved all the civilized Indian Tribes here to get them out of the way.

So another first for a State that is about as backwards and behind and has the most crooked politicians that the USA has ever seen. I kind of wonder whose palms got greased for this little adventure in car manufacturing. It will be entertaining to say the least and if it does work out and the MG TF Convertible is a good car heck I may just have to buy one!

Donna
:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Back in the 1970s, MG made one last dispairing attempt to regain the position it had enjoyed as the quintessential sports car. The press was invited to a spot in (IIRC) the Arizona desert, where the latest model was dropped from a C130 by parachute in a great publicity stunt, filmed by the world's TV stations.

Guess what didn't open.:eek:

Pumpkin

Donation Time
MG

:confused:
Yes seems the old GM plant in Oklahoma City which was stripped out by GM will have a new owner. Right here in the heartland of America they will built a MG owned by a Chinese company. :rolleyes:

:D :D
It will be entertaining to say the least and if it does work out and the MG TF Convertible is a good car heck I may just have to buy one!

Donna

Nasty talk Donna!! But O.K. for OK.
Chuck

skywords

Donation Time
Back in the 1970s, MG made one last dispairing attempt to regain the position it had enjoyed as the quintessential sports car. The press was invited to a spot in (IIRC) the Arizona desert, where the latest model was dropped from a C130 by parachute in a great publicity stunt, filmed by the world's TV stations.

Guess what didn't open.:eek:

Nick you should come out here to Eloy Arizona for Junk Day at Skydive AZ. They use a Shorts Caravan to drop almost anything that will fit in it. Oh and did I mention you are welcome to free fall with the object? Water heaters washing machines, refrigerators and my favorite Honda Civics with the tops cut off and yes you can sit in the drivers seat during the decent. A honda Civic hitting the ground at terminal is a sight not to be missed:eek:

Chinese MG's built in the US. Oh that makes perfect sense. Cheap labor. And they sure as hell look nothing I mean nothing like MG's. At least some of the cabbage will stay here:)
If they would build a MG with the old tooling and not make another plastic bubble car hell I might buy one. For all the nice folks in Oklahoma I hope it is a sucess.

Rick

Nickodell

Donation Time
I've owned four MGs, and each one had a unique character.

My TD was a great improvement on the TC that introduced many Americans to the concept of a sports car - independent front suspension, coil springs up front instead of cart springs, hydro shocks, somewhat more comfort but you still felt connected to the road. I had a neighbor who had worked at the MG distributor and had the works tuning book, so he and I took it to stage 3, which was supposed to add some 40hp. Shortly after this I decided to find out what she could do on the M1 Motorway, and unfortunately ran a rod bearing at over 100.

My 1952 YB saloon (essentially a TD with a 4-door saloon body) was really plush: green leather seats, wood dash, 4-wheel hydro jacking system (a great idea that never caught on) and real wind-up windows. Cecil Kimber must have had a fetish about octagons that would have given a psychologist enough material for a book. Octagonal oil filler. Octagonal dipstick handle. Octagonal radiator cap. Octagonal pedal rubbers. Octagonal badges in the steering boss and hub caps. Probably some that I've forgotten. I think that he would have made the wheels octagonal if he could have worked out a way.

MGB and MGB GT, both chrome-bumper models; the 50% increase in engine size was a great step forward. Pity they didn't do the same for the TD and TF. I almost bought a TF, one of the very last of the production and one of the few that had the 1500cc engine. Wish I had. It would be worth an easy 6-figures today. Coulda, shoulda, mighta. That's life.

skywords

Donation Time
I've owned four MGs, and each one had a unique character.

My TD was a great improvement on the TC that introduced many Americans to the concept of a sports car - independent front suspension, coil springs up front instead of cart springs, hydro shocks, somewhat more comfort but you still felt connected to the road. I had a neighbor who had worked at the MG distributor and had the works tuning book, so he and I took it to stage 3, which was supposed to add some 40hp. Shortly after this I decided to find out what she could do on the M1 Motorway, and unfortunately ran a rod bearing at over 100.

My 1952 YB saloon (essentially a TD with a 4-door saloon body) was really plush: green leather seats, wood dash, 4-wheel hydro jacking system (a great idea that never caught on) and real wind-up windows. Cecil Kimber must have had a fetish about octagons that would have given a psychologist enough material for a book. Octagonal oil filler. Octagonal dipstick handle. Octagonal radiator cap. Octagonal pedal rubbers. Octagonal badges in the steering boss and hub caps. Probably some that I've forgotten. I think that he would have made the wheels octagonal if he could have worked out a way.

MGB and MGB GT, both chrome-bumper models; the 50% increase in engine size was a great step forward. Pity they didn't do the same for the TD and TF. I almost bought a TF, one of the very last of the production and one of the few that had the 1500cc engine. Wish I had. It would be worth an easy 6-figures today. Coulda, shoulda, mighta. That's life.

To quote Will Smith " Now thats that Sh--t I'm talking about"