• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mechanical Tacho

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone know if the cable driven tachos are adjustable ?

Mine seems to over read in the order of 200 - 300 revs across the range when compared with my hand held tach.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Does anyone know if the cable driven tachos are adjustable ?

Mine seems to over read in the order of 200 - 300 revs across the range when compared with my hand held tach.

Not to the average mechanic no.

They are actually electromagnetic using the drive magnet to try to "drag" the aluminum driven disk through magneto-restriction.

The calibration mechanism involves modifying the cut-out slot in the aluminum disc but you can only take, not give back.
You can also rotate the needle on the shaft to wind/unwind the spring tension but this tends to only fix the error at one RPM not across the scale.

Last edited:

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Many thanks RR; well I have had some success with rejigging a speedo magnet / spring set in the past so I might just have a go.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re

I changed mine to an electronic one from a later model. Not original but more accurate and no noise from the cable drive.