• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

manual to auto

JonPiz

Donation Time
I am converting my manual back to the standard BW35 set up. Are there any pitfalls I need to know about?:confused:

howard

Donation Time
Make sure and line the new automatic transmission up right bolting it to the engine--- or you'll chew it up.

Wombat

Donation Time
Can't be sure about the Alpine, but when I converted my Hunter from automatic to manual, I had to change the spigot bearing in the rear of the crank. The automatic had a steel spacer instead of the bronze bush of the manual and it had a larger inside diameter than the bronze bush.

Automatic Alpines also had different exhaust pipes to clear the transmission.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Interesting point was raised to me about the tunnel. Apart from where the gearstick comes through, is the tunnel the same dimensions as a manual model?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting point was raised to me about the tunnel. Apart from where the gearstick comes through, is the tunnel the same dimensions as a manual model?

No. The automatic SIV Alpines had a wider tunnel than the others.

JonPiz

Donation Time
Has anyone converted a manual model to the autobox before and is there much modification to the tunnel required

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

Aren't the trans crossmember body mounts are in a different location on the auto trans body?

Good point. Yes they are. And they are quite different. Take a look at Issue 16 of the Marque (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=86). There is an article there that I wrote on the work Jim Ellis I did on my SIV automatic prepping it for a V6 conversion. One photo in the article shows the original automatic mounting points and the manual transmission mounting holes a previous owner had drilled. Unless you are prepared to go through a great deal of work, it would be very difficult to convert a manual transmission car to an automatic. I am sure it could be done (and going the other way is certainly possible), but it wouldn't be easy.

skywords

Donation Time
I built a run of these covers for all you automatic guys. User name howard has about eight left. They are identical in dimension to the originals.

Von how bout posting a pic of the finished product?

MVC-380F.jpg

JonPiz

Donation Time
well they wouldnt open on my computer.

I am still convinced I want to do this conversion and I wonder is it that difficult when so many convert there Alpines to the V6, surely there must be more work involved in that conversion.

Widening the tunnel is no big challenge and there must be the room to do new mounts for the A/T as there is no change to the chassis rails. Has anyone got a piture in there collections of how the A/T gearstick mounts to the transmission tunnel.

I do appreciate all your help and the PM's I have received:)

jmthehermit

Donation Time
This a Series IV automatic trans tunnel and shifter. The plastic cover that Rick (Skywords) molded covers the rear open portion and seals most of the air infiltration. The shifter mount holes are stepped to give it the proper angle and placement. Jeff

JonPiz

Donation Time
how much wider do you reckon the A/T tunnel is to a M/T tunnel. Is it wider straight from the bulkhead or just further to the back

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The tunnel pictured is 16 inches at the widest going to 7 1/2 at the small end in a length of 22 inches. I would venture a plus or minus 1/4 inch in the measurements. I don't have access to my M/T Alpine for a comparison at the moments as it is in long term storage. Jeff

nickraymond

Donation Time
I'm really suprised someone wants to go to the trouble of converting a manual to an automatic.

My automatic does around 23mpg, won't top 65 on the motorway before I get uncomfortable with going more.

Acceleration isn't as good as a manual.

If its possible, I'd suggest putting a more modern box in there, a four speed if at all possible...

The borg-warner is a heavy box internally, when its running the engine does drag it round.

I'm seriously thinking about going manual because of these facts (I haven't so far as I'd like to keep originality as far as possible)

Don't forget you'll need the linkages to the bottom of the carburetor, the kick down/gear change cable. (Important to ensure the car changes down as well as kick down)

You also might want to think about an inhibitor/reverse lamp switch, the wider brake pedal that the automatic has.

howard

Donation Time
My automatic is all you say- not very peppy, not fantastic gas mileage, etc. But man, is it a blast to drive! I wouldn't change to a standard.

Good luck trying to find a SIV cable. You shouldn't have a lot of problems finding the carb linkage... but a SIV cable is pretty rare.

JonPiz

Donation Time
I'm lucky I got everything off a SIV auto inc the brake pedal the speedo cable, the kickdown cable and carb linkage, Oh and also the prop shaft.

I used to have an auto back in 1982 and although it was a bit slower accelerating the top speed was never a problem. Anyway I'd rather be driving down country lanes than blasting down the motorway:D