• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Making a "sticky"

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
See the the thread "Help" on the Stock forum. It seems to me we ought to have a sticky there to warn newbies about what kind of oil to use so they are sure to use one with enough zddp to prevent premature wear of the cam and lifters. Not sure what the consensus is about exactly what oil to use, but surely we can steer them toward good choices.

Tom H

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
What would some of those oil choices be? I have been getting many different suggestions as to which oil is the best.

65beam

Donation Time

shell rotella t 15/40 still has 1200 PPM of zddp. or you can use any engine oil and pour in a 4oz bottle of zddp available at most parts stores.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I went with Castrol 20/50 and 4oz of ZDDP. Took the Ape out today and the oil pressure went down to 15 at idle and 25@2300rpm after the engine warmed up. Engine sounded OK and ran well. Now I am having a clutch issue. It will not disengage when fully depressed. Will get it up on the stands this week and have a look see.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Now I am having a clutch issue. It will not disengage when fully depressed. Will get it up on the stands this week and have a look see.

Had that same problem on my Miata two weeks ago - turned out to be a cracked pressure plate diaphragm. But usually this problem is due to hydraulics.