• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Luggage rack?

65beam

Donation Time
luggage rack

michael,
are you married? i ask that because after many years you will find that even the largest trunk is not big enough to carry what the wife wants to take along. that is one reason for the harrington hauler. plenty of room to haul things. we also carry a 10' X 12' easy up canopy when we go to car shows or to the many vintage race weekends we like to frequent. the canopy does not fit in the car even when folded and in it's bag. then there are the folding chairs, ice chest, snack bag, etc. plus it does give a great look to the later cars when the hardtop is on the car. the rack that is going on the series 4 has a real classy look. no suction cups. no stuck on look. it is a part of the car.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
If someone can pay $3,450 for the Book of Norman, they probably own a Tiger. I'd like to have a set of rubber for my luggage rack, but I'm not sure about a "what the heck" price. Don't remember those dimpled washers, but I'll have a look later.

I don't think owning a Tiger automatically means you're stupid. That is what you were getting at right? :p
"What the heck" price means I don't know what he is going to have to charge for just making one or two sets. If he just makes one for me and it's a couple hundred bucks, "what the heck"!
I don't know if there are any needs over the pond but that would certainly bring the price down. I may tell him he could recoup some money by listing a set or two on e-bay.
The economy seems to be back with $3500 books and $700 stainless window trim. I didn't have any action on the Series III ST except for a dozen guys pissed off that I used the word "Tiger" in my listing. After the amount of hate mail I got, I wouldn't even think of listing again with using the dirty word! :D
But this board seems to be dead! Where is everyone?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I know they are a period accessory and in some cases a factory one, but unless you have a SI/II and use it to travel why oh why ruin the lines of a nice sports car with a bunch of scaffold stuck to the boot :confused:

The sunbeams are one of the cleanest line sports cars of the period.. i just cant stand the boot racks ruining that.. sorry.. back off the soap box :eek:

Micheal
When all you can carry in the trunk is a flight bag open flat and make a few thousand mile trips you definitely will want a luggage rack
I had the luggage rack but that just wasn't enough so that is why the trailer came into being.We made some long distance trips with the trailer in tow and being able to carry tools and extra parts along with your luggage is just great

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
where is everyone

Hi Paul

Well I'm up here in the great white north.Winter is still heavy and we are looking at flooding around the area.Fortunately not where we live as we are on high ground.The 62 is all legal now as the police have cracked down and doing safety inspections and hitting the public with silly stuff like indshield washer resevoir being empty.

I agree with you as some people just can't abide with what others are trying to achieve because of where their nose might be.I just do my own thing and I really do not care anymore what some may think. I have freely given advice to many but sometimes I wonder about doing so.There are those who are so greatful for the help.Then there are others who can't even be bothered to say thanks.I often feel I should just not bother but then it would not be the kind of person I like to be.I don't or won't advertise stuff on Ebay anymore for whatever reason.
Just keep up the good works and enjoy

65beam

Donation Time
luggage rack

chuck and paul,
there are some people that will never understand. i have upset tiger owners by telling them that alpine to tiger conversions can and have been tac'ed. a shop has recently installed MK2 tiger rear quarters along with other tiger panels on my series 4 alpine. one of the worst comments i ever had directed towards one of my cars happened at the british show in pittsburgh in 2009. i had the 69GT in line with a tiger on one side and an alpine on the other side. some guy walked up to me and asked why i put a sunbeam engine in my car. i told him it was because it was a sunbeam. he proceeded to educate me by telling me that the tiger was a sunbeam and the alpine was a sunbeam and my car was not a sunbeam. several of us owners standing there walked away. there is no cure for ignorance. we all have our opinions and i have found that some owners tend to fade away and with them goes their opinions that what we do is wrong. if i didn't have two sunbeam restorations going on, i would strongly consider paul's car and since i first saw chuck's car in the 80's i must say it is his unique way. i'm waiting to see how many " slight modifications" as doug has said are needed to mount the luggage rack on my car. this is the bolt on from the U.K. he was looking at the profile of the four feet and said he may alter them to better fit the tiger trunk that is now on the car. it should look great when the install is finally done.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chalk it up to ignorance.
I love to sit back at a car show with the Lister and hear so many experts discussing the car.Some times when I get the hair in my back getting bristling I will tell them I think you know sh*****t.Well I do tell them a bit more politely than that.Some are then really anxiuos to know a lot more about the car.Then there are the others who are really interested and you spend a wonderful time talking to them.
The best was when the Royal Yacht club here had their first car and boat show.When I pulled in in the Lister there were lots of looks.I didn't get a chance to sit down for quite a while as I seemed to of attracted a crowd.

Thankfully here in Winnipeg we have great car people.Yes there are still a few with their noses up in the air but they are indeed few

alpine_64

Donation Time
Micheal
When all you can carry in the trunk is a flight bag open flat and make a few thousand mile trips you definitely will want a luggage rack
I had the luggage rack but that just wasn't enough so that is why the trailer came into being.We made some long distance trips with the trailer in tow and being able to carry tools and extra parts along with your luggage is just great

Chuck,

As you know i have a SII.. and did put the disclaimer about early cars... that said i'd never fit one to mine.. i have been camping in it.. carried 4 people in it (once with the soft top up!) and i figure thats what the rear parcel shelf is for.. when i doubt.. pack lighter!

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
"What the heck" price means I don't know what he is going to have to charge for just making one or two sets. If he just makes one for me and it's a couple hundred bucks, "what the heck"!

...this board seems to be dead! Where is everyone?

Paul: This might be within my "what the heck" range, so count me in for a set. These things don't look very complicated.

This board is dead because...I think a renegade SCAT group might be tipping the Sunbeam power balance...or something like that.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
You're not serious are you? A 3/4" sucker on your trunk lid! Do they make a tent tarp too for a soft top? :D

Weren't the original luggage rack feet made of a hard nylon type material?

I can see where white luggage rack feet would push the "lines" a bit. White soft plastic bathroom fixture material might be a bit too much, especially if it looks like white soft plastic bathroom fixture material.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
The originals are an "off white" cream colored rubber. Yes, they really do have that bathroom feel. The rubber remminds me of the end of a Cane. Pretty stiff but still somewhat pliable.

Paul

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
OK, here is the deal. The dimpled washers that sit on top of the white rubber feet are going to cost me just under $5 EACH to have made. I don't have a quote on the feet yet but the first one has been cast and the sample is on the way to me in the mail.

So is there ANY interest in these feet? I already have the washers for mine but I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that 4 new rubber feet with washers are going to be pushing the $100 mark. But just think about how nice fresh rubber feet would be! I guess that wouln't be bad considering the value of these original racks complete.

Let me know if there is any interest or I will just cast four fer meself.

Paul

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't know Paul, "on the way," "in the mail," "sample," "don't have a quote," I know you're a Sunbeamer and all, so I've got some interest. Maybe not one hundred dollars worth. One HUNDRED Dollars. One Ben Franklin. One Benjamin. I can't quite make that sound right.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't know Paul, "on the way," "in the mail," "sample," "don't have a quote," I know you're a Sunbeamer and all, so I've got some interest. Maybe not one hundred dollars worth. One HUNDRED Dollars. One Ben Franklin. One Benjamin. I can't quite make that sound right.

John,
I'm not sure what you are saying. Are the quotes "on the way," "in the mail," "sample," "don't have a quote," telling me you are suspicious? How about this. You call Grayson Tool Company in Minden, NE and talk to the owner and ask what he quoted on the washers for the Sunbeam parts.

In the meantime, I'll take a look at the samples from Orion Game Calls in Colorado on the feet, (one is pure white, the other has been slighly colored like original) and let him know which one I want. He can cast the four I need with sample product he got from the manufacturer without having to order several gollons at several hundered dollars.

I'll settle up with him and call it good. I'll post photo's for reference in case anyone else wants to do this leg work.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, please don't be put off. We trust you (at least everyone I know does), and we really appreciate the work you and others here have done over the years to recreate the bits and parts we all so desperately need. This is a hobby, and we all need to pitch in to make it the best we can for our fellow hobbyists.

Thanks!!! :)

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just called Grayson Tool Company, and they never heard of you, Paul, what's up with that? :D:D:D I'm joking! I know it's a big expense. Too big for me right now. I hope you make extra sets and put them on e-bay and let the 10 or so people on the planet that know what those are and appreciate what you're doing duke it out on price. I'm sure it'll be like a lot of things I see for sale on here, and then later on e-bay at higher market prices.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just called Grayson Tool Company, and they never heard of you, Paul, what's up with that? :D:D:D I'm joking! I know it's a big expense. Too big for me right now. I hope you make extra sets and put them on e-bay and let the 10 or so people on the planet that know what those are and appreciate what you're doing duke it out on price. I'm sure it'll be like a lot of things I see for sale on here, and then later on e-bay at higher market prices.

I hope so! There has been no interest so I'm just making a set for myself. I see people paying stupid money for common parts like headlight rings and everlasting gobstoppers but they won't give up money for legit rare parts. I don't get it. If he can get another set from the sample material I'll have him put them on e-bay, or i'll buy them and put them away for a day when I find a rack needing some.

Over and out!