• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Luggage rack?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Were luggage racks a factory - or dealer - option?

Were they bolted to the hood requiring 4 holes be drilled or fastened with removable clips?

Allan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Were luggage racks a factory - or dealer - option?

Were they bolted to the hood requiring 4 holes be drilled or fastened with removable clips?

Allan

Simple answer.. as with spot lights, mirrors etc.. they were both.

The factory rack had clamps and nylon padded feet on the legs, you didnt need to drill the boot.. though they left provision for aftermarket drilled ones.

Finding a facorty one is difficult.. IIRC Paul scofield had one on a white S3.. there was also a company in the Uk i think that reproed the non drill ones.. was a thread maybe 2 years back.. or more.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Simple answer.. as with spot lights, mirrors etc.. they were both.

The factory rack had clamps and nylon padded feet on the legs, you didnt need to drill the boot.. though they left provision for aftermarket drilled ones.

Finding a facorty one is difficult.. IIRC Paul scofield had one on a white S3.. there was also a company in the Uk i think that reproed the non drill ones.. was a thread maybe 2 years back.. or more.

Michael, I'm going to correct you on part of your answer to Allan.

Rootes only did seven optional extras (Hard top...Overdrive...Heater...Radio...Road speed tires...white wall tires and wire wheels) these could be ordered from the factory on the cars build.
Everything else was a Rootes Special accessory item,which was dealer supplied and fitted.
Your right about Paul Scofields car it has the Rootes special accessory luggage grid. This is the one that just clips on.
see pic below of Pauls car.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Rootes only did seven optional extras (Hard top...Overdrive...Radio...Road speed tires...white wall tires and wire wheels) these could be ordered from the factory on the cars build.
Everything else was a Rootes Special accessory item,which was dealer supplied and fitted.

John,

Just to clarify my earlier post.. i do know they were not "factory fitted" i guess i was really clarifying between correct rootes accesories and period ones.. as in the rootes luggage rack that a dealer could fit as opposed to the amco one they probably would fit to earn a few extra $.. same goes for rootes spot lights vs lucas ones.

My point was that there were "rootes" luggage racks and other brands. But you are correct the others were "rootes accesories".. but i think thats what allan was asking.. whats correct rootes vs not.. i will be more careful in my terms in future ;)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Indeed. Dealers offered the 'factory' Rootes Accessories racks, but often made more profit, and could offer a wider range of products, by supplying non-Rootes options such as those offered by Amco (the most popular brand at that time). Amco also supplied the wood and leather Sunbeam-logo'd shift knobs that we're all familiar with. I still have an original Amco rack for the Alpine in my spares stocks.

65beam

Donation Time
luggage rack

does anyone have the answer to this question? what rack did the U.K. club use as a pattern for the one they have reproduced? it is made to bolt on thru the holes in the trunk lid. it even has the four mounting points cut to fit the contour of the trunk lid. it's not like the two amco racks that i have. there were two other factory items that have not been mentioned. the heater was a factory installed option on all series. series 1,2 & 3 also had the tonneau as a factory option, dealer item on series 4 & 5. the auto trans was a factory option on series 4.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rootes Accessories offered two basic racks - one was the 'clip on' as shown below, and the other was the 'custom' rack and that was a bolt-on as you noted.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
does anyone have the answer to this question? what rack did the U.K. club use as a pattern for the one they have reproduced? it is made to bolt on thru the holes in the trunk lid. it even has the four mounting points cut to fit the contour of the trunk lid. it's not like the two amco racks that i have. there were two other factory items that have not been mentioned. the heater was a factory installed option on all series. series 1,2 & 3 also had the tonneau as a factory option, dealer item on series 4 & 5. the auto trans was a factory option on series 4.

Seems like they'd of used the pattern for the rack supplied by Rootes to dealers, like Paul S's, where you don't have to drill holes in your boot.

65beam

Donation Time
luggage rack

i feel that the bolt on rack is more solid and won't move around on the trunk lid. i have two other cars with the bolt on amco racks. we're going to drill the trunk and fit the rack from the U.K. before the body work is done and then reinstall after painting.

John Boggis

Donation Time
The UK Boot Rack is a copy of original part number 2201303 and fits the recessed holes in the boot strengtheners.
Lee De Ramus from Louisiana has loaned the UK club the guide tool so the holes in the trunk can be drilled in the correct place.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor

Rootes only did seven optional extras (Hard top...Overdrive...Radio...Road speed tires...white wall tires and wire wheels) these could be ordered from the factory on the cars build.
Your right about Paul Scofields car it has the Rootes special accessory luggage grid. This is the one that just clips on.
see pic below of Pauls car.

Anyone notice that the rack is fitted the wrong way round?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Anyone notice that the rack is fitted the wrong way round?

Yes, it is the wrong way around. I guess another good reason not to make holes. I just hope that the holes are the same distance between each other so it can be turned.

I have one of the original racks on my car and I think they are a great addition. The strap system is solid metal and they work great. The only thing you need to watch is how tight you turn each strap, if you don't watch it is possible to bend your boot lid.

20090702-web.jpg

The rubber feet on the rack are white so I might make a new casting and use some black rubber so they will match the car.

20090704-web.jpg

Andrew

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tony and Andrew: You guys are "the men." I am SO glad you piped up, Tony. This has been a five year mystery for me. I bought the only luggage rack I've ever seen available that looks exactly like your's and Paul's, Andrew. Never been able to figure out how it fits. Always thought I was missing two clamps. All I need is nylon feet. And danged if I wouldn't like em to be black. I'm sure a dealer would have painted them black if someone insisted.

Andrew, if two sets are just as easy as one to make, consider a relative portion of your cost covered if/when you get around to making a set.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Have you looked at Caravan / camping supplies. In the UK they sell rubber Caravan awning suction cups, around £1.00 each.
Not sure about Black though.
Pete

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Tony and Andrew: You guys are "the men." I am SO glad you piped up, Tony. This has been a five year mystery for me. I bought the only luggage rack I've ever seen available that looks exactly like your's and Paul's, Andrew. Never been able to figure out how it fits. Always thought I was missing two clamps. All I need is nylon feet. And danged if I wouldn't like em to be black. I'm sure a dealer would have painted them black if someone insisted.

Andrew, if two sets are just as easy as one to make, consider a relative portion of your cost covered if/when you get around to making a set.

Hi John,

I will take some good photos of the parts that you will need. There are 4 small round thin steel plates that look like washers but without the holes that you will need. These plates have a dimple in them that match the radius of the rack posts. I will explain more but they sit on top of the rubber feet/cups so that the posts do not punch through.

As I said, I will provide a few photos of what you will need. If all gose well and I get a change to purchase more casting supplies in the next little while, I will make some feet and see how they work.

The idea that Pete has is a great one. I would check this source as custom feet will cost a bit to makes.

Keep in contact with me and feel free to PM me about information if I don't get back to you.

Regards,
Andrew

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I am having some white (off white) rubber feet cast by a buddy's shop. The big questions is what were the three letters cast in the original feet at the top in three evenly spaced spots.
I think it's either ASA or ASM or just an ~A~ with something on each side?
I don't think it's really important they are there but I would like to know.

Is anyone missing the dimpled washers at the top? If there is enough call, I'll have some of those made too. Of course, none of this will be cheep, but worth it.

If someone can pay $3450.00 for a Book of Norman,...........what the heck.

Buy the way, no, these rack are NOT on backwards. They only go on one way. I guess the thinking was it is more important to keep your suitcase from come through the window rather than fall off.

paul

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
If someone can pay $3,450 for the Book of Norman, they probably own a Tiger. I'd like to have a set of rubber for my luggage rack, but I'm not sure about a "what the heck" price. Don't remember those dimpled washers, but I'll have a look later.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
For those who will be drilling holes through the trunk lid with the Old style Amco luggage rack

The holes will need to be braced as where they are drilled through the panel and the trunk frame.I used a piece of pipe and welded this to top and bottom panels.Failure to do so will result in the metal being drawn together and you will see a depression in the trunk lid.

65beam

Donation Time
luggage rack

chuck,
today i took my new luggage rack that came from the U.K. and dropped it off at the shop that is restoring my series 4. this is a rack that matches the precut holes in the trunk frame. he was talking about making something to keep the trunk skin from dimpling and then i showed him the spacers that came with it. they slide in between the skin and the inside frame work. eliminates any problems! i think he plans on gluing them in place before painting the car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know they are a period accessory and in some cases a factory one, but unless you have a SI/II and use it to travel why oh why ruin the lines of a nice sports car with a bunch of scaffold stuck to the boot :confused:

The sunbeams are one of the cleanest line sports cars of the period.. i just cant stand the boot racks ruining that.. sorry.. back off the soap box :eek: