• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lucas Spare Bulb Holder

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Can anyone tell me anything about this Lucas spare bulb holder? Especially what the original color of the outside is supposed to be?

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 35

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Can anyone tell me anything about this Lucas spare bulb holder? Especially what the original color of the outside is supposed to be?
I have never seen one, but it mite be the same color as the inside of the container, I don’t think Lucas would have painted it perhaps some kind of plating.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
DSC02697.JPG DSC02698.JPG Thanks for posting this Pete-reminded me that I had one too. Yours is the same color as mine but mine is not in as good of shape as yours. This is an interesting Lucas accessory that was designed to mount to the car and store spare lamps and fuses too. More info about these is here http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/accessories/at166.htm shown in a factory rally car.
According to that link, a spare bulb kit was mandatory in mainland Europe during the 50's.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is interesting. Seems there are two different designs for the top cover. The article shows a cover that looks somewhat art deco. That might date it to the 50's? The color of your ex-one and mine look to be a copper-bronze. Mine also appears to have been a 'hammertone' style paint.

There is one on ebay right now, with very little of the original finish left and bearing a serial or part number

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Anyhow, thanks for sharing an image of yours.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
It has 3 holes in bottom. I supposed it's intended to be attached to the car someplace.