• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

lowering rear

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Justin:

I can tell you with certainty that QA1 setup will be a big no-no with CVAR. With your car being an early car, you'll be forced to run the lever shocks. You can modify the valving and run thicker oil in them, but you will be forced to run that setup as the early cars never came with tube shocks.

My Series I was set up with comp valved lever shocks, stock springs and lowering blocks. It handled well; probably better than it would have if it were racing back in it's day. I would say, however, that the modern rubber probably had more to do with that than anything.

Remember...think "vintage" in your car set-up if you're going to race an Alpine...

mototron

Donation Time
Loose the lever shocks and convert telescopic shocks ,Vast improvement over any mod you can do to a lever shock , most vintage clubs will not penalize you for this conversion . here on the east coast

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Loose the lever shocks and convert telescopic shocks ,Vast improvement over any mod you can do to a lever shock , most vintage clubs will not penalize you for this conversion . here on the east coast

Well, see, that's the problem...CVAR will penalize him for upgrading to equipment that was not available at the time of manufacture. I realize that other vintage sanctioning bodies will let folks upgrade their cars somewhat, but CVAR has a much tighter rulebook and, since he'll be running with CVAR, he'll have to play by their rules.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I gather CVAR runs a "production" class much like our group SA here in AU.. which means factory carbs, displacements, suspension. As suggested re-vavling the rears and using heavier fluid can help, trying to find a set of Koni/Spax adjustable shocks for the front would be a good idea, but they are a hard find for the early stly lower pin mount.. maybe you can use a later series wishbone to change the mounting?

On the carb front the Zeniths used on the alpines were the most powerful factory setup... however, they are tricky to get parts for.. if you want to upgrade them and stay within the rules... maybe look at the UK fords of the period that ran the Zeniths.. while im not suggesting you do anything outside the rules they had up to 40mm IIRC and you culd probably swap the alpine spec zenith top plate over onto them... :eek:

gspd18

Donation Time
Thanks for the advice. Looks like the Alpine maybe sticking around for a little while. Picked up a setof sbc headers today to make the exhaust manifold. No pics yet only moced up a few tubes. Still busy putting the willys back together and business is picking up more, so progress on the Alpine is slowing. Hopefully I can finish the exhaust and the brake line this weekend, and finally drive it. I live on a one mile circle in the country serves as a test track for everyone in the neighborhood. New pics coming.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Sounds good so far. Read up on brake fluids on the forum before you top up.
(here we go... but it had to be said...:D)

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, there is much discussion and dissent on whether all Dot 4 is "created equal". (Basically, Dot 4 is a performance spec, not necessarily a formulation recipe.) Many, including me, use Castrol GTLMA with no issues, but with the caveat that it eventually does draw eventually moisture and need changing... but perhaps not as much as other formulations. Others successfully use silicone fluid, usually with fresh rubber seals throughout.

Rather than turning your thread into another extended debate, perhaps we could "wiki" a sticky dispassionately outlining the pros and cons of each... drawn from the many threads thereon. I'm certainly not the one to define the "right" thing to do, but I felt it was important to mention that using a fluid incompatible with existing seals can result in a total rebuild scenario, which in my experience if pretty disheartening. Early on, I chose a "Dot 3/Dot 4" compatible fluid, and failure occurred within three days.

So, search the site with "search" or google, and digest a few threads to help you form your own opinion.

Was that neutral enough? I'm tryin' !

gspd18

Donation Time
Would motul 600 be ok its one I think pegasus racing recomends. I used it on my japanese sports cars and worked great. Search funtion doesnt agree with me. I use my phone the majority of the time on the forum

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Just click on Search next to New Posts, enter motul, and there are four good threads worth reading. As to actually using it, I can't speak to that one way or the other since I've never tried it. But folks in the threads referenced certainly can.

Search works well with good term selection... as long as the term is more than 3 letters. Google search the site for better detail on short terms. I've done it with my phone with good results... and making friends with search is the best way to get the most out of the information offered on this site.