• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Low ratio differential

V_Mad

Donation Time
I am looking at an option of putting a 3.7:1 diff in my rear axle. Someone suggested using a Hunter axle, which seems a good idea, and I have located one already from a Hunter Eestate car. But on Googling the axle ratio, I found that the 3.7 axle only seems to appear on the Hunter GT, whereas the other Hunters seem to have a 3.89 axle, so I think its not going to be so easy to find a 3.7 one. Am I correct or are their other cars, for example the Arrow range Rapier/Alpine with the 3.7 ?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Chris - a number of us, including myself, have purchased and installed the brand new 3.70 gearsets from Rootes Post Vintage Spares in the Netherlands. Works great and highly recommended for fast cruising on the motorways (especially with an overdrive).

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

If you put the 3.79 gear set into your Alpine, you will be killing some of the performance. The best gear set for the conversion would be a set pf 4.22's. These lower gears would increase acceleration, yet with the overdrive transmission you have, would cruise great on the motorway. The little 2.8 is happiest when it is above 3.000 rpm.

Jose:)

I am looking at an option of putting a 3.7:1 diff in my rear axle. Someone suggested using a Hunter axle, which seems a good idea, and I have located one already from a Hunter Eestate car. But on Googling the axle ratio, I found that the 3.7 axle only seems to appear on the Hunter GT, whereas the other Hunters seem to have a 3.89 axle, so I think its not going to be so easy to find a 3.7 one. Am I correct or are their other cars, for example the Arrow range Rapier/Alpine with the 3.7 ?

Jim E

Donation Time
The MPG went up when I replaced the 3.89 with a 4.22 and it went up a good bit. This is while on the freeway, with the 3.89 gear and OD the car was just way out of the power band at 70 MPH.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The MPG went up when I replaced the 3.89 with a 4.22 and it went up a good bit. This is while on the freeway, with the 3.89 gear and OD the car was just way out of the power band at 70 MPH.

Probably due more to the camshaft configuration than anything else.

Bill

V_Mad

Donation Time
My engine is a stock Granada engine, peak torque comes at 3000 rpm, so its easy to keep the engine revs in that region. I want to get the gearing so that max speed is reached in 4th without over revving, and just use 5th as an overdrive. and I also want first gear to be a bit longer. So a 3.7 axle will help me with all of that.

Its interesting to compare axle ratios from the 2.8 V6 donor cars as they are all higher geared than 3.89, the Capri being the highest at 3.09, and thats no slouch.