• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for advice in replacing rear floor pans of an SV

spudman5

Donation Time
At least one of the rear floor pans of my SV needs to be replaced. The fronts are solid so those don't need replacement.

I have replacement pans and I want to tackle this myself (or am I nuts and should farm it out to a shop?). What I am looking for is some advice from anyone that has accomplished this task.

If anyone has pictures of the effort, that would be fantastic.

1. I plan on reusing the existing seat rails if I can. Is there anything I should watch out for when drilling out the spot welds?

2. Are there any good cut lines for cutting out the old pans? I.e. how high up the front, rear, or sides should the replacement go?

3. I plan on butt welding in the new pans. Any hints for installing the new pan in terms of forming to the curves on the sides or rear?

4. What is the best way to re-install the seat rails? Plug welds (I don't have a spot welder) or bolts?

One thing I will do before removing the seat rails is using a piece of plywood and drilling holes in it to match the seat mounting holes so when I re-install the rails, the spacing will be correct.

Thanks,
Mike

SumBeans

Donation Time
The first action of Caution to consider is the route of the steel fuel and brake lines that run under your work.
You don't need those lines/liquids getting friendly with a cutting/grinding wheel. :D

spudman5

Donation Time
Sumbeans,

Excellent advice and I'm hoping you didn't learn that through experience.

Luckily I have my car completely stripped and I am in the beginning stages of body work / paint prep so the fuel and brake lines are already removed.

Thanks,
Mike

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I replaced my passenger side recently and took pictures as I went along, I have only done this once before and will say that the floor I used this time was more complete. When I did this the first time, 20 years ago, the floor I had then did not extend all the way to the center outer sill instead it was designed to "drop" into the opening you can see when you look into the floor from the top. this time I did have to replace a section of the sill that would hold the hand brake on a right hand drive car, under which the floor passes, and also a section of the trans tunnel on the other side because the metal on both sides was fairly week.

If you share your email address or email me at gary.moss@sbdinc.com I will send the pictures I have. I was not able to save my seat runners but made new and used the seat frame as my jig to make sure everything lined up before welding.

Thanks

Gary

mark mcdonough

Donation Time
Floor Pans

Hi Mike,

Curious if you fabricated your floor pans or if you purchased new ones. If new ones, could you provide the source of the pans?

Thanks, Mark