• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Look out there going to turn it on

skywords

Donation Time
The largest partical accelerator ever built at a cost of 5.8 billion is going to be switched on in a matter of days. It's critics claim it will creat a black hole bigger than NAFTA or CAFTA. It will be the end of the world they say.

Will it cure cancer? Will it solve world hunger? Will it cure my heart burn or hemeroids? Based on my cell phone theory of causing a tumor in my neck I'm glad I'm on a different continent when this baby is turned on.

http://www.voanews.com/english/Science/2008-09-08-voa17.cfm

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, about the only way it can cure your hemorrhoids would be the creation of an all encompassing Black Hole. That would be the end all of cure alls, or more accurately, the End All.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
They are only in the test phase now. Slowly accelerating particles in one direction. The same test will be done in the other direction. The ultimate run will be when they fire the particles in opposite directions at high speed. It is during this run that critics claim a mini black hole could be formed. An article I read said that you wouldn't notice anything right away. It will be about four weeks later when a mysterious light appears out of the Indian Ocean in the middle of the night that can't be explained.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
It is during this run that critics claim a mini black hole could be formed. An article I read said that you wouldn't notice anything right away. It will be about four weeks later when a mysterious light appears out of the Indian Ocean in the middle of the night that can't be explained.

And a gateway will open to another world, where all the missing socks will be found. Where Lucas Electrics are the world standard... :eek:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quotes about the colider

Statements made about the collider.

A pair of Russian scientists even think the LHC would be the world's first time machine, and that we should expect visitors from the future to arrive soon after it goes into operation.

The start of the collider came over the objections of some who feared the collision of protons could eventually imperil the Earth by creating micro-black holes, subatomic versions of collapsed stars whose gravity is so strong they can suck in planets and other stars.

"Someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it, retired Professor Otto Roessler told London's Mail on Sunday. "Very soon the whole planet will be eaten in a magnificent scenario — if you could watch it from the moon. A Biblical Armageddon. Even cloud and fire will form, as it says in the Bible."

mikephillips

Donation Time
On the plus side it'll render most of our arguements on spending and who should win the election irrelevent.....;)

And if we get visitors from the future, they'll probably be cartoon charaters, since we all know from Superman and the Flash that running really fast against the rotation of the earth causes that...:eek:

skywords

Donation Time
And by the way the Rings of Saturn have been discovered to be made entirely of lost airline luggage.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
What would Lucas be in a black hole?

That's easy... Jos. Lucas has become death, in fulfillment of the scriptures...

"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -Robert Oppenheimer (from the Bhagavad Gita)

... and as He has shown us by His example with every English car ever made.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
..its only 200km away from my location.
It broke down, now standby for couple of weeks until repaired.
Very expensive toy for a couple of boys.
What does it do for me or man kind,- hmm really ?
Opposition starting up here, or better, healthy questioning.

mikephillips

Donation Time
According to what I saw it'll be more like 2+ months. Since it operates are nearly absolute zero it'll take a month to warm it to the point they can work on it and a month to rechill it.

skywords

Donation Time
According to what I saw it'll be more like 2+ months. Since it operates are nearly absolute zero it'll take a month to warm it to the point they can work on it and a month to rechill it.

Can you imagine the LN required for all the cold traps? Does anyone know the operating costs of the beast? It's got to be a mind bending amount.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I suspect eventually we will see some pretty significant results of the research these 'boys' will be conducting. I wouldn't bet against them and certainly wouldn't support those that fear the Earth being swallowed by a microscopic lab singularity.....